Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thrush help!

Default thrush help!

My baby (4 weeks) and I have thrush. We were nursing great, and now she is on a strike. She latches on to pull right off and fusses the entire time. I have been waking her up at 2 hours she won't even consider nursing so I try at 3 and 4, but it has been about 12 hours and she has only nursed for about 10 minutes 2 to 3 times. She has wet 3 diapers in the last 6 hours, and this is substantially less than she usually does. We have been treating the thrush for 3 days, and I don't know what else to do to encourage her to nurse more.
    We are going to the pediatrician again today, but if anyone has advice to help ease her discomfort please let me know.

Summer

Default Re: thrush help!

This sounds like it's really rough on you guys! Can you tell us what you are already doing about the thrush and the symptoms? Often it can seem to get worse before it gets better, but maybe we can help you guys get a little more comfortable in the meantime.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Nystatin for her mouth after each nursing session.

Then, I put 2 different creams on my nipples each time I nurse her, which I wash off before nursing her. clotrimazole and mupirocin

There are some other things that you can do in addition to what you are already doing if you are interested. These are great resources (2 non LLL) for treating thrush and it's symptoms.

LLL on thrush

Thrush Resources

Dr Jack Newman Candida Protocol

Sometimes thrush is very tricky to get rid of, perhaps some other mom's who've had it can share what has worked for them?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!