Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastmilk for congestion

Question Breastmilk for congestion

I read somewhere on the site you can use breastmilk for babies congestion. I also read it can be used for the ears, eyes, and skin. Can someone elaborate on this for me? I'm interested in hearing what people have actually used breastmilk for. Also, my 2 1/2 year old who is not bf, stays congested. I've wondered if I could use my breastmilk on him.
    Just so you know, I'm bf my 12 week old and he is sometimes congested as well. I would like to know how to put it in the nose exactly and how much?
    thanks in advance!

Default Re: Breastmilk for congestion

Where on the site have you seen this information? Do you mean the main LLL International site or these message boards?

LLL's information about the benefits of breastmilk pertain to feeding. There may be other information to be found by "Googling".

I'm not sure about using bm to eleviate the congestion - but have you thought about elevating your DS's head while sleeping? I noticed a huge change in my DD's congestion when we elevated the front of her crib using bed risers. There are also foam wedges that you can purchase that you put under the mattress. This might be the trick for your 12 week old. Not sure about your older boy. Another thought is a cool-mist humidifier or a Vick's Vaporizer.

Good luck.

OK..it took me a while, but I found the site I read this on. For some reason I thought I ran across it here since this is where I spend most of my time!

This particular article talks about using breastmilk for congestion in infants instead of saline drops. From what research I've done, mother's swear by it and says it works better than anything you can buy on the market. I look forward to giving it a try!

Here's the link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...ness.html#cold

I can attest to that! I've used EBM to help clear up DD's nose a time or two! It worked wonders!! I've also applied it to her face when she had an outbreak of ezcema though it didn't seem to work too well.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)