Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing shorter periods of time??

Default nursing shorter periods of time??

MY lo has been nursing for maybe 5 min on each side at the most. I am sick right now i have bronchitis but i dont feel like its affected my supply. She pops on and off and fusses then burps then shes done. She is having good output still. She is also going about 2to3 hours in between feedings. AHHHHH!!! what is she doing??? BTW her popping on and off is sooo painful.

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

Default Re: nursing shorter periods of time??

refresh our memory on how old she is again.

She'll be four months on april 3rd.

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!

Could it be gas? Wet diapers still good?
    Many babies become more efficient as they grow older.

she does burp after the fussiness but then she doesnt want the breast any more , her wet diapers are good. Its almost like im trying to force her to take the breast and shes just had enough

Sounds to me like your LO has just become more efficient at removing milk from your breast... my LO did the exact same thing. Feedings in the beginning took FOREVER, but over time her feedings have gotten shorter and shorter. Now it only takes her 5-10 minutes max per breast (sometimes less) to get her fill. And if I try to encourage her to drink some more, she usually refuses and will fuss if I try to force it. The only time I can get her to stay on longer is if she's super sleepy and she'll stay on and do the "comfort sucking" thing.

I say as long as your LO's output is still good (still having plenty of wets & dirties) then you're fine...

HTH,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

my little boy has started doing the same thing lately. everytime i have him figured out, he changes things on me. ugh! i like routine and he's just so unpredictable sometimes. i still love him to pieces!!!!!!!

ALso, somewhere around 4-5 months babies start to get more interested in their surroundings, and have a hard time staying on the breast. At that age, Joshua did most of his nursing at night, or right after waking from a nap (in the darkened room, while still sleepy). It was so hard to get him to stay on at any other time. It did pass around 8 months or so. HTH!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

wow that is sooo wierd , babies are so smart at getting what they want so much faster.

My daughter (4 months) is doing EXACTLY the same thing. I had been trying to force her, because the bobbing on and off was painful to me, but gave up on that. I'm trying to teach her that if she does that, she's done. (Kind of like a discipline thing?) She eats every 1 1/2 to 2 hours, but only nurses (one side only) for about 5-10 minutes at each feeding. If she's very tired, she does nurse longer, but no change otherwise. Still wetting and pooping and growing. Hmmm....