Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: late start nursing

Wink late start nursing

My friend suddenly decided to nurse on the 4th day, and is still giving formula. The baby does not seem confused by the different nipples. She took right to the breast and still likes her bottle. I have never seen this before. I breastfed successfully but avoided all formula/bottles from the first day. She is a young woman who is interested in breastfeeding, and suddenly decided that she just must try it. She likes breastfeeding but does not want to do it exclusively. I recommended that she nurse at fairly regular intervals so her supply will meet the demand. Has anyone heard of another similar situation? I admit I am thrilled that she has changed her mind a bit. Bottles are a huge hassle, but convenient so others can feed the baby.

Default Re: late start nursing

It does happen...some babies don't get confused. The problem is that there's no way to tell in advance which ones will and which ones won't, so it's kinda like playing Russian Roulette with your nursing success. Really glad it worked, though!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Hi welcome to the forum!

Thats great she is breast feeding. How nice that she has some support in a friend such as yourself! How are things going for her? How often is she breast feeding?

I'm glad your friend decided to nurse. Any amount of breastmilk is better than none.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Mc View Post
    My friend suddenly decided to nurse on the 4th day, and is still giving formula. The baby does not seem confused by the different nipples. She took right to the breast and still likes her bottle. I have never seen this before. I breastfed successfully but avoided all formula/bottles from the first day.
    Although everything might fine now, 95% of babies who are introduced to the bottle before 4 weeks of age develop problems going back and forth between the breast and bottle, and it's usually the breast that suffers-- bad latches, poor milk transfer, very sore nipples, fussiness, breast refusal, etc. Nipple confusion is harder to fix than it is to prevent. If she could cut out the bottles for just 4 weeks then her chances of being able to maintain the combination feeding are much better.

Avoiding Nipple Confusion

She is a young woman who is interested in breastfeeding, and suddenly decided that she just must try it. She likes breastfeeding but does not want to do it exclusively. I recommended that she nurse at fairly regular intervals so her supply will meet the demand. Has anyone heard of another similar situation? I admit I am thrilled that she has changed her mind a bit. Bottles are a huge hassle, but convenient so others can feed the baby.
    Well I wish her the best of luck. I hope her baby continues to do okay switching back and forth, and that she's able to maintain her milk supply. Here is another link with some information on doing both.

Partial Weaning and Combination Feeding
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

I had about this same situation. I gave up nursing from day 7 until day 11 and didn't pump. My baby had both bottles and nursing every day after day 11 (and we are still nursing at 18 months). I would suggest to your friend that she nurse as often as possible right now to get her supply to where it needs to be. Watch the diapers and supplement if it's necessary. But, especially for the first 6 weeks, I would avoid formula. Mainly because if a bottle of formula holds the baby for 4 hours, you miss two nursing sessions, not one and you need those sessions to keep your supply up. I ended up pumping when baby got a bottle.

Good for her!

Thumbs up Re: late start nursing

Thanks to everyone who responded. I believe that this is going to work for her. Every baby is different, and I do not think anyone should be made to feel guilty for choosing to do both breast and bottle feed. I think some women are turned off to breastfeeding because of the committment level involved, but I just believe breastfeeding is so much easier and better for the baby in the long run. I am actually living in the home with her and her husband as a roommate, we are a modern day family unit because we can't afford to live seperately. I am more concerned about her breasts becoming uncomfortable, because the baby is fine. Since I am here and experienced with breastfeeding, if there is a problem for her I can advise her on where to look for answers. LLL helped me in so many ways when I was a young mother, and I am still thankful for this organization to this day. I parented my babies the way that felt most natural, they both slept with me and my husband for two years, and neither one is needy or insecure in life, they are just the opposite.

I am definitely proof that it can work. There were very few days that my dd didn't get at least 1 bottle of formula and most days she got two. What worked for me was to pick when the most convenient time was to give the formula and to be stubborn about nursing the rest of the time. Since I was working, I chose the time I was working as the time to give bottles and I nursed the rest of the time. I made sure that she only got bottles at the times I had decided on because I didn't want to lose the rest of my supply. So, for most of her babyhood, she got about 12 oz of formula a day. I was happy that she at least got some breastmilk every day. And now, at 18 months old, she knows what she wants...whether it's food, a drink from a cup, or to nurse. And she won't be distracted by a cup if what she really wants is to nurse.

This is not something commonly discussed, I don't think. I think it's seen as a slippery slope to formula feeding and honestly it can be. But, if you're determined and can be disciplined about when you give bottles and when you nurse, it can work.

That's wonderful that your friend has decided to try BFing!

Going back and forth between breast and bottle does not always spell out disaster. My son had to have expressed BM for the first 2 months or so because he had serious problems latching on from birth. During this time, we worked very hard on his latch. Eventually, he was able to latch on very well but continued to take expressed BM in a bottle at least 2-3 times/day. We never used formula, though.

Perhaps she could pump so that her LO can have that in a bottle instead of formula?

Just wanted to share my experience!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky