Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dream Feeding - does it work?

@llli*dally Guest

Default Dream Feeding - does it work?

x
    Last edited by @llli*dally; January 11th, 2012 at 09:30 AM.

Default Re: Dream Feeding - does it work?

My LO was on the exact same schedule. I started dreamfeeding about a week ago and it has gone great. Most nights he sleeps until 3 or 4 am now and then goes back down until 6 or 7. I would give it a shot for a week or so and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out you can always go back to your old schedule!

what is dream feeding?

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

Quote Originally Posted by JakestersMommy View Post
    what is dream feeding?
    Waking baby up to eat before YOU head to bed.

I did this with DS for a while until he started 1. actually getting angry when I would wake him or 2. he would take 30 minutes to wake up and then would eat for 2 minutes before crashing again

I'd say give it a shot and see if it helps.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Ah thanks.

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

I tried doing this with no success. I mean, she happily ate when I fed her, but she still wants to nurse every two hours (comfort nursing, not eating), with or without the dream feed. I still do it, and combine it with Papa doing some "nursing" at some of those every two hour wakings, so we're still using it, hoping to stretch out her sleep time, but so far no luck.

This was a life saver for us. We started at about 6 months and LO's wake ups slowly stretched from 1 or 2 am to 2 or 3 am to 3 or 4 am until now when he wakes up at 5 or 6 am. (This is only if there's nothing else going on, such as a stuffy nose, teething, the grass growing loudly outside his window...)

My son never woke up at 10 pm. My husband would put him in my lap and I'd touch my nipple to his mouth and he'd latch on and start nursing. He never woke up. At first, I was always afraid he'd wake up and start screaming, but he never did.

I definitely try it if I were you. If it works it's a god send.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

I do that sometimes when my son is taking his naps so that he'll sleep longer. I've been really lucky when it comes to him sleeping at night though. What I usually do is nurse him to sleep during his naps, then wait about 2-3 hours if he hasn't already woken up and lie down next to him and put my nipple by his mouth. If he's hungry he'll just latch on and eat without me having to wake him up. I've never tried to wake him up to eat, except when he was a newborn bc he was sleepy baby.

I think what really helped us sleep more at night is cosleeping. He usually just moves around when he's hungry and that's enough to wake me up and latch him on then go back to sleep.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Cool Re: Dream Feeding - does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasMommy View Post
    Waking baby up to eat before YOU head to bed.
    You don't actually have to wake him up, if you can keep from it. You just pick them up (this is usually when they do wake up, lol), and drop their chin, and stuff it in. I only did this successfully, once. All the rest of the times, I hit him in his light sleep stage, which woke him. Grrrr!

What really helps me get him to sleep most of the night is to time our feedings in the evening. I let him NOD all day (which he usually has scheduled out to every 2.5 hours). At 6 p.m., we start nursing on my demand, which for us, means at 6, 8, and 10. That tops his "tank" up, and he will then sleep until 4 a.m., giving me 6 whole hours of rest. *Ah*
    Last edited by milk_milk; March 25th, 2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Added my method
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987