Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help! She won't sleep!

Default Please help! She won't sleep!

My six month old baby has been a great sleeper from the start and was sleeping through the night (only waking once to eat) at three months old. However, she just turned six months old and is now waking every one to two hours at night. The only way to get her back to sleep is to nurse! I work full time and this is killing me.

Is this a growth spurt? If so, when will it end?

Any suggestions, ideas?

TIA for your help.

Default Re: Please help! She won't sleep!

Sounds like a growth spurt or something. This too shall pass. I know when you are in the middle of it it does feel like it will never end. You might need to do something a little different to break the pattern. Like instead of you feeding her each time, if you know she got a good feeding in, have her daddy or a helper get up and hold her and give her a pacifier (if you do those) for a little while to try to soothe her back to sleep without nursing? When my little one was born she was keeping me up all night with the nursing and my sister kept her beside her in the basinett the last night my sister was with us. Gave her a paci and only brought her to me once when she knew she really needed to eat. Husband did that for a couple nights after sister left and before long she was just about sleeping through. We also had a period of night wakings after christmas break this year. It was not to eat, (she was like 17 months old by then) but just like she was frightened or something. It was horrible but we did a similar thing where we went through a couple nights of dealing with it in a different way, soothing her, etc, and she did get through it quicker. (meaning quicker than us taking her to bed with us or feeding her again which just seemed to result in more of the same the next night) Anyway good luck, I don't know if anything like this will work for you but it worked OK for us.

It does sound like a growth spurt It could also be reverse cycling. My DS will do that if he does not nurse well during the day. We co-sleep so he'll nurse and I'll sleep
    nak

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

Could your LO be teething? In the couple weeks before my daughter's first two teeth broke, she was up every hour. It was exhausting, so I understand what you're going through. After the teeth came in, she has been sleeping much better. Good luck!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Growth Spurt or Teething or BOTH!

Nurse, nurse, nurse to get your supply where it needs to be and do anything and everything you can to comfort those gums. My dd really enjoys sucking on a cool, wet washcloth.

I just went through this same thing almost 2 months ago with my baby and also when my oldest dd was 6 months.

Hang in there, you'll get through this soon.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I'm sorrywhat's reverse cycling?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

here is a link about reverse cycling
    HTH!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Awesome! Thank you. Just glancing over it explains a lot.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Its definately not uncommon for a good sleeper to suddenly start waking frequently around 5-6 months. There are a lot of milestones that the baby is nearing, crawling (if she isn't already), teething, sitting up, etc. I know when my son works on a milestone his sleep is affected. Usually after the milestone is achieved, the sleep improves.

Good luck Mama!
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thank you for all your great advise. Last night was a bit better she only woke up three times!

You are all correct - she is hitting milestones. It seems like she is drooling quite a bit and may be close to teeth. Also she has been making motions like she may crawl soon....

We nurse a lot when I am home and she gets bm bottles during the day. We have not started any solids yet, I am kind of hesitant to start too soon, but have been thinking of getting sweet potatoes and making a little puree for her.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.