Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Incredibly gassy baby...help?

Question Incredibly gassy baby...help?

My son is 3 weeks old and recently he has been miserable... his stomach is rock hard and it's just really hard on him. i know I don't have the best diet, I just have no appetite and It's really hard for me to get the motivation to eat. But what I eat is pretty bland in the first place, so I can't see how it's upsetting him. It consists mostly of grains and fruits, nothing overly acidic. His schedule is really loose, i feed him when he's hungry and it tends to work for him - for example he'll eat every 2-ish hours from 7am to 11pm. Then he wont want to eat again untill 4/5, and the next day its pretty similiar. He spits up a lot, so I'm not sure if the gas and spitting up are tied together. I don't like giving him medicine like gripe water but it's heartwrenching seeing him and hearing him crying from it. Is there anything i can do? I've tried burping him more but it doesn't do much to alleviate it. I don't know if this is important, but though he isn't ever constipated he has a really difficult time pooing (he does have really frequent wets and dirties so i dont think thats a concern, and his poo is normal bf baby poop)

I know I kind of go all over the place in this thread, but I'm just trying to provide all the info I can in hopes of getting some good advise... I'm desperate to help my little boy

Default Re: Incredibly gassy baby...help?

This sounds rough! Here is Dr. Sears idea's for a gassy baby
    COMFORTING THE GASSY BABY
    You might poke around or ask a question in the allergies forum - Dairy is a food that can sometimes cause babies a lot of discomfort and we don't often think of it in our diets. There are other things too, but it seems to be the most common.

Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Is your letdown really fast? Can you spray really far? If so, it might be him swallowing a bunch of air as he attempts to keep up with the flow.

My LO had trouble getting his BM going... we helped him along by laying him on his back and gently rubbing his tummy. Also we would hold his feet and gently bend and extend his legs to assist him in "pushing"... Have you tried that out when you can tell he's having trouble getting it out? We also give our LO organic gripewater and just dipping our soothie/binky in it and letting him suck that little bit off... he always seems soothed and feels better. Hope that helps out a bit!

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~

Have you tried any of the gas drops? My 4-week-old seems to have the most gas in the mornings and it breaks my heart to hear him cry as he strains to get things moving. I have noticed that it seems to be a pattern for him because late in the afternoon he finally loads his diaper and all is well.

my LO had really bad gas pains too. I was in tears seeing him cry about it. I asked our ped. and he said to give him mylicone drops 3 times a day. this has been working for us and everyone is much happier.

My LO also has awful gas pains and it breaks my heart to see her struggle. Her poops have also slowed down (twice per week); we went 13 days w/out a poop once. My ped suggested that I see a doc that practices Chinese Med. and he's had me massaging her stomach and using gripe water and it’s helped A LOT!

I am very big into holistic medicine and therefore don't believe in treating all ailments with meds, but the gripe water is a very natural form of medication. It’s mostly made up of herbs that help with digestion. If you're desperate, I would definitely consider it.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

My dd's pediatrician recommended the OTC gas drops, e.g. Mylicon. (Dunno if they did anything for her, but it made me feel like I was at least doing something to help the pain.) I also tried carrying her to put pressure on her stomach, burping frequently, and laying her down to bicycle her legs when she was fussy. The biggest help was eliminating dairy and soy from my diet entirely. She was still somewhat gassy up until about 6 weeks and then it started getting better on its own.