Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding schedule - what do you think? (long)

Default Feeding schedule - what do you think? (long)

My 7 month old has been very inconsistent in the amount of EBM she drinks during the day at daycare. She has 3 bottles while she's there, about every 3 hours or so. She used to finish them every time. I was putting 6-7 oz in each. Over the past month or so, she'll sometimes leave as much as 3.5 oz in a bottle! They offer it to her a few times over the course of an hour from when she starts it and she still leaves some - sometimes 1oz (no biggie) and sometimes 3.5, like I said! And it's not always the same bottle times that she doesn't each as much, so I haven't been able to pin it down to being a "not too hungry" time of day. (Yesterday she only finished 1 and left 3.5 in one and 3 in another!) I haven't worried too much about it, though, since she's growing, wetting, dirtying diapers, etc, and a generally happy, very active kid.

We've started introducing solids now and her weird bottle habits haven't changed. This has been her typical schedule:
    ~6:30am nurse
    ~8:00 solids at daycare (~2tbs cereal, 2oz fruit or veg.)
    ~9:30 bottle
    ~12:30 bottle
    ~3:30 bottle
    ~5:00 solids at home (sometimes)
    ~6:00/6:30 nurse
    ~7:30 nurse
    sometimes wake up once in the night and nurse

The other day, though, she woke up earlier and nursed and was about due for another BM feeding when we got to daycare, so I asked them to give her a bottle instead of solids for "breakfast" and get her her solids later in the day. We had a little miscommunication about spacing the solids feeding so that her bottles would still be every 3 hours, but this is what her schedule looked like that day:
    5am nurse
    8:15am bottle (finished it)
    napped from 10-11:30 (long for her) then was fed solids at about 11:45
    1:15 bottle (left only about 1oz)
    4:00 bottle (finished it)
    6:30 nurse
    7:30 nurse
    I can't remember what her overnight was like that night.

Anyway, I was a little upset that she had gone 5 hours between bottle feedings and then I looked closer and realized she had basically finished all of them. I'm wondering if I should adjust her schedule to look more like that day, since she drank more EBM, but I just don't know. Is 5 hours too long between bottles or is it ok since she had solids in between? I'm not sure how this is supposed to work!

Also, she doesn't usually wake up to eat at 5am, so it would be more like 6 or 6:30 for that first feeding, which may push everything a little later (?) and turn into one less bottle/nurse... I'm not sure.

Maybe I'm over thinking this, since it was just one day and she may not repeat eat like that again even if we try that schedule again.

Ugh, I just don't know what I should do... what are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Feeding schedule - what do you think? (long)

There is no hard and fast rule about how the schedule should work, but I understand you need to tell the daycare people something. My youngest is nearly 7 months old too. She runs something like this during the day: 7am-wakes up and plays in crib for a bit. 7:30-8:30-gets bored and calls out(we share a room)and she has a long nursing session. If I had to guess I would say 6-8 ounces. Snuggles a bit then get down on the floor and plays until between 10 and 11am. Short nursing session, maybe 2-4 ounces(?) and asleep for an hour nap. Wakes up in time to join the family at the table for lunch around 11:30 or 12. There she is given a mesh feeder with whatever we are eating, if appropriate, or puffs(yes I know some of you despise puffs) and she self feeds what she wants. Then she nurses again between 1 and 2:30, a medium session, maybe 3-5 ounces(?). More sleeping after that. Then we have a longer stretch, sometimes until 7 or 8 pm, which is ended by a another big feed, maybe 6 ounces. Sometimes she joins us for dinner and again self feeds some of what we eat. Usually by 10pm she has another short feed and goes to sleep for the night.
    So my point being some babies might want a small bottle sometimes and big at others. I know it is hard for a daycare to be completely flexible to her hunger but I would try bottles of different sizes.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband