Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need BF help - premmature boy/girl twins - about to give up

Default Need BF help - premmature boy/girl twins - about to give up

Hi

I am also really looking to see if I can find a lactation consultant. The url suggested does not work.

I gave birth to boy/girl twins on 6/29. They were 24.3 weeks and spent 2 weeks and 1 day in NICU. They did not allow me to put them to breast until about 8-10 days after they were born.

We are now at home and I really cannot get them to latch. And it's so hard to try with two, not tire them out, etc. Sometimes my son will latch for maybe 4-8 minutes. The most my daugher has latched was for about 3 minutes maybe once. I really need help. I REALLY want them to get majority breastmilk and feel that if I can't get them to latch they won't and pumping won't do it. Help please.

Default Re: Need BF help - premmature boy/girl twins - about to give up

Don't give up!! There is good help available out there. What a super mom for wanting to provide your twins with the best possible start in life. Here are a couple sites I found to find a lactation consultant:

How can I find breastfeeding help? (links)

http://www.breastfeeding.com/directory/lcdirectory.html

http://www.ilca.org/

Also, your hospital and your twins' pediatrician should have resources available.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Wow that was a short stay in the NICU, my daughter was 6 weeks premie & was in for 10 days, I ran into the same problem, couldm't attempt to bf for awhile.....it gets better, a lc helped out a lot, my daughter is now 9 months old & doing great......Good for you for bf twins!!!!!!!!! Good Luck & don't give up, my lll leader bf twins.

Marcie
    Mom of Madeline

WOW they came home early. Congrats on that first off. My first born was 6 weeks early and spent 8 days in NICU. We also had to wait to latch him to the breast. I found with preemies the football hold really works well with them. You can even do both at the same time in this position. But I would wait until they are both comfy with breastfeeding. I would also recommend calling your local La Leche League to get in contact with great support and great consultants.

I am a NICU nurse and first off, congrats on your twins! Are you SURE it was only 2 weeks and 1 day with 24 week twins? I would think they would need to stay closer to 2 months 1 day! How much did they weight at birth?

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you to keep trying. Breastmilk is the best for preemies (i dare say even more so for preemies that full term infants). Can you pump for them? Is there a LLL leader near you?

Good luck!
    Rikki