Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long should it hurt???

Default how long should it hurt???

my baby will be 2 weeks old tomorrow, and latching on still hurts. Especially on the left side; it's not entirely painless even when she gets going on that side. it *looks* like her latch is good; I make her start over if she doesn't do "big mouth..." Is this normal? When does it stop hurting?

Default Re: how long should it hurt???

Hi!
    Painful all the time, or afterwards? Some mothers experience some initial pain as the nipple stretches into the soft palate area; it goes away. If you are having consistent and acute discomfort it probably means you need you latch checked out. Have you considered calling your local La Leche League leader? They are free!

My lo latched great everytime but I still had nipple pain for about 6 weeks. I just thought he was getting them "tough".

It can be, some women feel some discomfort- 6 weeks seems a long time to me though. It can also mean a shallow latch, maybe some tongue tie. See here for explanation:http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/v...LatchOnEnglish it has a section on explaining why a shallow latch hurts.

what a great video.
    it does actually hurt somwtimes after feeding. i've been reluctant to call a leader so as not to bother them, but i might do so...

Call the leader! Questions are what they are there for. They want to put their knowledge and experience to work helping mothers so call! Seriously, it isn't a bother at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cicely_m View Post
    what a great video.
    it does actually hurt somwtimes after feeding. i've been reluctant to call a leader so as not to bother them, but i might do so...
    Call a Leader, that is what we are there for! If you don't happen to get a hold of someone, keep trying, or call a different leader. Meetings are also a great place for information, everyone is always willing to help out.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Definately call a leader. I didn't get in touch with LLL when I was nursing my first and I had lots of nipple pain for the first 2 months. It did eventually go away and I'm not sure if his latch improved or if resulted from the better fitting bras I got. I think his latch had initially been bad and I got sore the poor fitting bras prevented my nipples from healing.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.