Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Bm, fussy, and gassy

Default Re: No Bm, fussy, and gassy

I just read your reply about juice. I wouldn't do it, but you have to do what you think since you are the mommy When our LO was only a couple weeks old he hadn't had a BM since we left the hospital for about a week. We did the tummy rubs and leg crunches. Then he eventually had a BM. We were about to try giving him magnesium citrate, but he had his BM finally... just before we were going to give him the citrate. Anyways, you may want to try that... maybe ask your ped about it. I don't remember the amount you give. You can purchase at the pharmacy. I think you just use a dropper and give a small amount (again consult your ped)... it's a saline laxative that has a lemon like flavor... anyways... at least you will not be feeding alternate sources and instead giving "medicine"... good luck!! hopefully something works soon!

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~

Instead of an enema you can try this- (Our doc recommended this for DD1 when she was having the same issues. It didn't work for us, but it has for others.) Buy some latex gloves, the kind that don't have any powder on them, lube up your pinky finger with KY Jelly and, yep, you guessed it, gently insert your finger. This is supposed to loosen the muscles and will sometimes cause a bowel movement when you pull your finger out.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

My babes have all had colic problems. My first two had very few poopy diapers and always gassy. My LO now, had gas problems, but lots of poopy diapers. Anyway, my doc suggested giving her probiotics with digestive enzymes. This one... http://synergyblends.com/store/product15.html . I give 1/3 of the capsule 3 times a day. I just dump the powder on her tongue. It has made a huge difference!!!! I take it before meals too. Helps quite a bit. )

Quote Originally Posted by ak411 View Post
    Instead of an enema you can try this- (Our doc recommended this for DD1 when she was having the same issues. It didn't work for us, but it has for others.) Buy some latex gloves, the kind that don't have any powder on them, lube up your pinky finger with KY Jelly and, yep, you guessed it, gently insert your finger. This is supposed to loosen the muscles and will sometimes cause a bowel movement when you pull your finger out.
    Or if your not comfortable doing that, you can try taking a rectal temperature to gently stimulate a BM.

The "I Love U" massage also worked well for us.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Some tummy time on the floor worked well for my son when he had problems with BM.

Quote Originally Posted by radiomomma View Post
    Have you tried giving your LO gripe water? You can pick it up at nearly any pharmacy/grocery. My LO is soothed by it. Also, have you eaten dairy or some other irritant? I ate ice cream a few weeks ago and my LO didn't have a bowel movement for about a week & it took several bowel movements for him to get normal.

Also, we tried gently massaging his belly & pushing his legs up/crunches... to help him learn to squat/push.
    YES!! I introduced a small amount of milk a little over a week ago and it didn't affect him like it did my daughter so I thought we were home free! Never thought abuot it causing constipation. I stimulated with a thermometer twice, gave a warm bath, and still no BM. He's very gassy and today is day 10. I'm going to get a glycerine enema this morning. What is the "I love U" massage?
    LLL Leader Cabarrus County, North Carolina