Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: chunky spit up + hind/fore milk imbalance?

Default chunky spit up + hind/fore milk imbalance?

Does anyone else's LO spit up "chunky style?" My LO does this often and yesterday it was all day. Sometimes it's even yellowish. He never acts fussy about it, is content and happy, but it just bothers me. He's 15 weeks old. I was giving him mylicon 3 times a day for gas, but decided to try cutting back to only once a day to see what happens.

Also, how does one know if there's a fore and hind milk imbalance? could this be a reason for chunky spit up? when pumping, how much "cream" is supposed to be in the bottle?

any help is appreciated.

thanks!

Default Re: chunky spit up + hind/fore milk imbalance?

i thought chunky spit up means it had be partially digested already. i don't know what green means.

i have heard people say that foamy explosive poo is a sign of hind/fore milk imbalance but i have also heard people say that is not true, so i'm not sure.

when you take a fairly full breast and pump it pretty empty, that is how much fat should be in the bottom of the bottle. keep in mind that you milk will change as your babies needs change.

if my baby is eating well and gaining weight, that is a good sign to me that he is getting enough hindmilk.

My son does, too. Today it was pretty disgusting--like one big chunk in his mouth. Sorry, I know that sounds gross.

I don't know why. I may have to see what I can find searching the web. We did have some foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but no longer. When he got too much foremilk, he got green foamy poops.

I don't worry about how much fat is in my pumped milk. I notice that there is some, and that's about it. When I pump, I know that I get pretty close to "empty" even though there is no such thing as an empty breast. And after a day of drinking pumped milk (I work 12-hr shifts) we haven't had any more green poop troubles, so I think he gets plenty of fat.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

After a quick search, I'm pretty satisfied that it has to do with how digested the milk is (like the pp said). As the stomach digests the milk, the protein structure is changed and makes the milk more curdled looking. So most likely has nothing to do with the hindmilk situation.

so is chunky spit up a cause for concern?

also, i don't know if he's going through a growth spurt or what, but the pact 2 nights he's been waking up at 3/3:30 hungry. he usually sleeps from 11p.m. to 6:30ish when I wake and feed him before work. the first night i was able to nurse him and he fell back to sleep right away. last night he fell asleep but my DH made me put him back in his crib and then he woke back up and stayed up until 6:00. (i was so pissed! my husband is not a fan of co-sleeping. he's afraid we'll roll on our son and hurt/kill him). I am soo tired! not to mention that my milk supply has gone down when i've been pumping. i'm guessing it's because he's eating a little more, but not sure. then i get worried about having enough EBM for him while i'm at work.

urg! i'm just so annoyed today.
    Last edited by jojo1079; March 25th, 2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: forgot something

Probably no cause for concern (the spit up, I mean).

How recently did you return to work? Your baby could be eating more at night because you're at home. A lot of the working mamas on this forum (myself included) co-sleep partly because it's easier to night feed and still get sleep. If you do some research, you may be able to convince your husband that it's pretty hard to roll over a baby unless drugs or alcohol is involved. It is possible to co-sleep safely! You just have to be mindful of your sleep set-up. Some babies reverse cycle due to working mama or daytime distractedness. Could this be part of the problem? It could be a growth spurt, too. But don't rule out reverse cycling if you're working.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

What kind of pump do you use at work? If you are having supply issues, you might consider renting a hospital grade breast pump. They really do make a difference in supply. I worry about having enough for my LO, too. Even though I do have enough right now. So you have to decide if you really need to make more milk or if you're just worried. If you do, try reading this: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

i've been back to work for about a month and a half. my LO has been teething a bit, so I was thinking that may have something to do with it. As well as a growth spurt; however, my MIL has been feeding him a little less during the day for the past 2 days. I wonder if he then needs to make it up with me at night. It's only been 2 days he's done this, so hopefully it's just a fluke. We did go visit my mom over the weekend and spent the night there so maybe he's a little off track still. of course he slept from 10:30-6 there, go figure. lol

my milk supply was a little better at work today. i got my usual, but i also pumped about 1/2 hour to and hour later than normal. i think i just get worried to quick. i have a medela personal double pump. i really like it. much better than the single pump i had.

i forgot to mention my hubby will not change his mind, i'm sure. his mom already plagued his mind with a friend of a friend who's grandma or mother rolled over and suffocated their baby.

i really hope he's not reverse cycling. i was just getting used to him going to bed by 11 and me waking at 5:30 for work. i could deal with that, but i can't deal with 4 hours of sleep everynight.