Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: relactating for my 3 month old

Default relactating for my 3 month old

Hello,

I thought I would finally post since I've been lurking for a week or so and finding a lot of inspiration from you ladies.

My daughter was born at the end of December, and I was determined to breastfeed her. I had had trouble with my other two and have never had a successful breastfeeding relationship with any of my children.

At her one week checkup, she was still about the same weight she was when we left the hospital (which was down about 10 percent), and my nipples were shredded. But I figured that was normal, she was ok, so I continued on. But at our 2 week weight check, when she had lost another 3 ounces in a week, I started losing my confidence. When I came home and got nothing out with my breast pump, I decided I was starving her and started giving her formula. She's been on formula bottles since then.

Once she was about a month old and my nipples had healed, and my postpartum stress levels had evened out some, I started wishing I could try again with breastfeeding -- I realized then what I couldn't see in the stress of the moment at two weeks old that there were a lot of intermediate things I could have done in between going from 100 percent bf to 100 percent ff! But I didn't even know relactation was possible until I decided to look on kellymom about it a few weeks ago. So glad I did!

I've been pumping (with a PIS Advanced) and taking fenugreek and blessed thistle for a bit less than two weeks, and my supply has increased from a few drops a day to about half an ounce per day per breast. So, definitely encouraging, but I obviously have a long way to go! The great news is that my daughter is still very interested in nursing. I ordered a Lact-Aid, got it late last week, and am working on learning that. I'm using it for most of the day feedings now, but am still pumping during the night feedings because at least for now until I get less fumbly with the Lact-Aid and feedings don't take so long! I know that I really need to use it 24 hours a day, but I'm so tired with three kids under 4, I'm having trouble getting there mentally.

I do think the reason that she was losing weight initially was a shallow latch, and I'm not sure that's corrected itself, so I put in a call to the LC's at the hospital where I delivered her -- hopefully they will get back to me today and let me know what LC support is available to me with a 3 month old. There is not an active LLL group close to where I live.

Anyway, I'm just looking for support and encouragement, and enjoy reading about others' journeys along this path.

Laura

Default Re: relactating for my 3 month old

I don't have any experience with this but WOW!!! you're doing great. I can't believe you have 3 kids under 4 and you're working so hard to relactate. Seems like you're taking all the right steps. You're a super mama! Keep up the great work. I hope it all works out the way you want it to
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Hi Laura and !

I am so glad you found us here. I'm sorry there is no LLL group in your immediate area, but I'm sure you will find the ladies on this board to be supportive and helpful. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum for a lot of great information to help you along the way, and feel free to post any questions you may have. We are happy to help!!

Best Wishes!

Tiana

I thought I would update, since I've made a lot of progress in the last week.

I saw the LC on Tuesday, and she said my daughter's latch looks good. In talking with her, we decided on a new plan of attack that will make it easiest for me to stick with relactating ... I will nurse her first each feeding, then offer a bottle, then pump. Also pump in between feeding times when I get the chance. She rented me a Lactina, and I noticed an immediate increase in the amount I was getting over my PIS. She also recommended I talk to my OB about getting Reglan, which I did.

I've been taking the Reglan since last Tuesday evening and following this new routine, and I've noticed an increase from measuring my pump output in drops to actually being able to feed my daughter one 3 oz bottle a day of pumped breast milk (and this is on top of what she's getting directly from me, since I do hear her swallowing when she nurses). I'm so excited about the progress! Downside is I absolutely hate the Reglan, it makes me spacey and drowsy, enough that I'm afraid to drive while I'm taking it. I went ahead and ordered some domperidone, which should be here in a week or so -- I figure if the LC and the doc feel the Reglan is safe, then the domperidone would be a better option for me. I'm going to start weaning down off the max dose of Reglan starting today.

As of tomorrow, I will be 3 weeks in to my relactation journey. I had stopped breastfeeding for 8 weeks, so I still have a way to go, but I am so excited to have a nursing baby and to be seeing progress with my milk supply!

It sounds like you are doing fantastic! I think that you are doing way better at 3 weeks of relactating than I was! I cut out bottles altogether and only fed using the lact-aid because I was worried that my son would reject me. Did you LC explain to you about baby-led bottle feeding? Before I started using the lact-aid she had me bottle feeding a bit differently so that the flow wouldn't be so fast and that baby would have to "work" for the formula. You hold the bottle on an angle so that the nipple isn't FULL of formula. Baby has to suck to get the formula rather than it just dripping out. Baby will get some air but it mostly should go up to the roof of his or her mouth and out the nose. You will have to burp more with this feeding method but it will help prevent babe from rejecting you apparently? Or do you have bottle nipples that have a breastfeeding type flow? I've read about Adiri bottles that A-hex is using? They sound like they require the baby to latch on like they do when breastfeeding?

Good luck getting the domperidone prescription! I'm in Canada and it is what my doctor prescribed for me and it works well! I see no side effects whatsoever. I know there are ladies on here who have ordered it online (if living in the U.S. - you can't do this in Canada).

I think what really helped my supply as well was eating oatmeal, switch nursing (feed on one side as long as you hear swallowing and then swallowing with compressions, then switch and continue to switch until you no longer hear swallowing) and spending a couple of days with just nursing as the focus - nothing else. We pretty much spent a week lying in bed! :-)

Good luck! It sounds like you are doing SO well!

Keep up the good work Mama!!

Angie

It sounds like things are coming along well for you. That's great news!

You might want to discuss your reaction to the Reglan with your LC and prescribing doctor. Reglan does have side effects, particularly in women who have a history of depression. Here's a link with more info: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html

The above link also has information on Domperidone.

There are also herbs that some mothers have found helpful in increasing milk production: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html

Talk to your lactation consultant.

You're doing great, mama! Keep us posted!!

Tiana

Thanks for all of the encouragement!

Angie, I didn't know about the switch nursing, I will definitely have to try that. And I'll ask about the baby led bottle feeding. I tried holding the bottle so the nipple didn't fill up this last feeding and couldn't make that work -- I'm using Born Free bottles with the stage 1 nipple.

CONGRATS and You are doing great !!! I started hand expressing around ds's 2 month mark. I didn't get the Reglan (but should have) but was able to get up to 6-8 oz a day for him for almost 5-6 months which is around 25% of his daily intake of milk so I felt good about that! Keep it up!