Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dry diapers, getting enuf Milk??

Unhappy Dry diapers, getting enuf Milk??

My DD is 14 weeks old. She is a tiny one. She was 8.1 when born, and dropped to 7.2 before we left the hospital. Dr asked me to supplement with formula. Once she got back to her birth weight, I stopped all formula exept at night. She gets one 6 oz bottle at night. At her last visit @ 3 weeks ago she was up to 9 lbs 11.5 oz, 23.5 inches. I was thrilled so I wanted to get rid of that 1 bottle at night and EBF. She still slept very well and almost thru the night (till about 5 AM). so for 4 days i nursed her to bed, and for 4 days I woke to a dry diaper? they actually stayed dry almost all day. So then i started to think that she was not getting enuf. She was not pooping or peeing. After 4 days, i was back to giving her the 1 bottle at night. With that she has a wet diaper in the morning, and into the afternoon. After that she is dry again. peeing maybe 1-2 times b4 bedtime. as for poop, she only goes once in 5-7 days and it is not a breast milk poo. It is not wet and seedy - We dont go back to the dr till the end of April. She is generally a happy baby, she naps during the day, plays w/ her toys, smiles, laughs and is starting to talk to us and her toys. Developmentally she seems absolutely fine but w/ out the pee and poo I am SO worried she is not getting enough. I even up'd my milk w/ Fenugreek tabs and also mothers milk tea and pump at night. i THINK she is getting enough but w/ nothing coming out i am getting worried - can this be normal? should I really get rid of that night time formula? The family is always telling me she is too small, she needs more milk, why am i BFing? Its not enuf for her....and now they are telling me that she can start on solids in a few weeks. When I say i am waiting till 6 months they are not so nice about it. HELP! ! !

Default Re: Dry diapers, getting enuf Milk??

how often is baby nursing?
    Sometimes they need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours to get the wets they need.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

Is she still only having 1-2 wet diapers with the bottle of formula, and no wet's at all with breastmilk?
    Are the diapers really soaked? Sometimes it's harder to tell with a disposable if they've actually pee'd - she might be having wet diapers and you don't realize it.

Are you able to talk to a local leader or IBCLC about breastfeeding management?

I cant tell you exactly because when she gives me her signals I feed her and some days she wants more then other days. Normally I would say she eats @ 10 times a day. Sometimes 15-20 minutes and some times straight for 1 hour. When she eats for an hour she is surprisingly good for @ 3 hours. When she eats for 15-20 minutes we are good for 1-1.5 hours. I have tried to make her eat more but if she does not want to eat she just goes to sleep, no matter how hard I try to keep her awake. (i count my hours from the start of the last feed) I wish I could get her to eat more of them 1 hour meals to ensure she is getting the fattiest milk possible. It kills me to think that I am keeping her this small. I feed her when she is hungry but I cant seem to force her to eat more. I am scared that when I take her back to the Dr he will tell me she is still too small and I need to give her formula. We are at almost 4 months and the worst is over. I would HATE to give up now. I am even block feeding as told by an LLLI member at an LLLI support group I went to, but that was not making a difference either.

Yes Jessica, that is exactly it. W/ the formula she wakes up wet. W/ the breast she does not. I check her diaper often thru the day and even smell it and it is dry. I have already been to an LLLI support group and will be going again in April. I have been meaning to call the LLLI co-ordinator that I met at the meeting. But w/ getting back to work its hard to make calls (thankfully for US I work at home and can just nurse my DD when needed). Also, she did make a poo last Tuesday, and it was hard. If she does not go on her own today I will give a suppository.