Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really need advice for my sister!!

Default Really need advice for my sister!!

So my niece got to come home yesterday after 10 days in the NICU
    My sis is trying to BF her which she didn't do with my nephew but I don't really know how to help her. I tried to help her get her to latch yesterday but it was really hard.

Here's are the problems:
    my sis has very small, almost flat nipples
    the baby is used to being bottle fed in the NICU
    the baby won't really open her mouth
    she will only latch with a shield, but I think the standard one is too big for sis
    the baby was born 4 weeks premie

I don't know a lot about these issues. I think the shield is too big because her nipple doesn't really fill it but maybe I'm wrong? Help ladies I really want to help her BF this time and she's not one to fight through the problems for too long. Especially since she has a 17 month old too.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: Really need advice for my sister!!

for helping your sis!!!andto her too!! i had to use the shield for 3 months, until my preemie's mouth got big enough to take on the nipple herself. and when i first started the shield did seem big, but the baby seemed ok with it. Could she latch on in the NICU? we started there, but still had to do an everyother feed with the bottle of EBM for the first week or two at home. What did the docs advise her to do??? tell her to hang in there and get her on HERE so she can talk to some mamas too!!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

She latched a few times in the NICU but my sis could only go see her once a day. The kids dad isn't around and she had to wait until my parents got home so the could watch her DS. Unfortunatly the docs didn't really give her advice on BFing. They were all about the bottles since the could monitor how much the baby was eating. Sis is pumping and does have some bottles she can give but I told her it would be best to get the baby to the breast to stop any nipple confusion. Should she give her some bottles for awhile?

Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

ummm. I can only tell you what i went through and i'm no doctor but we had some weight issues (she wasn't gaining in the NICU) so to insure that she was eating and taking in, we started out at 40-50mls of EBM for one feed, 3 hours later nursed, 3 hours or whenever she seemed hungry, (which was actually close to 3 hours) EBM agian and we did that for the first few days, then i cut out the bottles at night (it was much easier) and we did this until her first weigh in which was at about 13 days old... when i saw that she had FINALLY put on some wieght i started to cut out the bottle one at a time... i had to return to school when dd was 4 weeks old so she gets a bottle then (about 3-4 a week) but other than that BF... How is her wieght gain?? why was she in the NICU, if you don't mind me asking???

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

One thing for the flat nipples - have your sister pump a little just to draw out her nipples and get some milk on them and then try to latch the baby on. Eventually the baby will be able to latch right onto her nipples, but this can help until she learns.

If this were my baby, I would try to nurse first (unless baby is REALLY hungry) and then offer her some EBM in a bottle if she doesn't nurse. I know it's ideal to just have the baby nurse, but since she's used to the bottle, I would realize it might take a bit.

I don't know a whole lot about the shield - I tried one when my daughter was having trouble latching, but it was hard for me to use.

Also, I would try to get her to see a lactation consultant (board certified) to help her with the latching, etc.

It's awesome that you are helping your sister! If you're able to while she's trying to nurse and take care of a 17mo, try to offer her some help with stuff around the house, with her other lo, etc. so she can continue trying to nurse. I remember how time consuming nursing was in the beginning and it was a huge help to me to have help around the house...and I didn't even have another child.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Is she able to see an IBCLC about the fit of the shield? Do you guys have a local leader you could call - they might know someone really good in the area.

Baby led latching might help her, lots of skin to skin contact will for sure help. Does she have a sling that she can wear the baby in while taking care of her older one?

Quote Originally Posted by knm626 View Post
    How is her wieght gain?? why was she in the NICU, if you don't mind me asking???
    I have no idea what her weight gain is, I didn't ask. She came home around 5pm yesterday and we needed to leave my parents house. I stayed long enough to cuddle the baby, help her nurse and then we left. She was in the NICU because she was 4 weeks preemie and had Respitory Distress Syndrom. She was on breathing machines and antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by JennieBean5 View Post
    One thing for the flat nipples - have your sister pump a little just to draw out her nipples and get some milk on them and then try to latch the baby on. Eventually the baby will be able to latch right onto her nipples, but this can help until she learns.

If this were my baby, I would try to nurse first (unless baby is REALLY hungry) and then offer her some EBM in a bottle if she doesn't nurse. I know it's ideal to just have the baby nurse, but since she's used to the bottle, I would realize it might take a bit.

I don't know a whole lot about the shield - I tried one when my daughter was having trouble latching, but it was hard for me to use.

Also, I would try to get her to see a lactation consultant (board certified) to help her with the latching, etc.

It's awesome that you are helping your sister! If you're able to while she's trying to nurse and take care of a 17mo, try to offer her some help with stuff around the house, with her other lo, etc. so she can continue trying to nurse. I remember how time consuming nursing was in the beginning and it was a huge help to me to have help around the house...and I didn't even have another child.
    I did tell her about pumping to get her nipples out and to get her letdown quicker but I don't know if she'll do it. It's an extra step and she is kind of the easiest route kinda girl

I'd love to help her more but I live an hour away. She lives with my parents and our 14 year old sister so she's not alone, alone. I'm going to try to go up there this week but I don't know when. I'm going to give her the info for a LC but again I don't know if she'll actually do it.

Thanks for all the advice.

There are preemie-size nipple shields (made by medela) if she's already going that route. Is there any hope of convincing her to try using an SNS?

Congrats on your new niece!!!!!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.