Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long can it last?

Default How long can it last?

I guess my 5 month old baby is having a growth spurt. I'm not sure though. For more than 2 weeks he has been waking every 2 hours or less to nurse. He used to go 3-4 hours between feedings. He doesn't always eat a lot, sometimes he nurses for just a couple of minutes. When it started I thought he was looking for comfort from teething. But for the past week the teething has stopped or hasn't bothered him. I have tried soothing him with a pacifier (which he takes for sleeping) and rocking him. I have tried swaddling with hands in, hands out, feet out. I tried different swaddling blankets and sleep outfits. I even tried setting the heat at different temperatures but nothing seems to help. I'm clueless. Any ideas?

Default Re: How long can it last?

How well does he nurse during the day? Is he distracted or nursing well? He's doing so many new things right now--kind of like a developmental growth spurt, too. (My LO has started being very distractible, and his eating at night has increased.)

Also, are you with him all day or do you leave for work?
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

I think teething can also cause frequent night wakings...could that be it?
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

I'm home with him all day. He is so distracted with nursing that I have to nurse him when he is asleep. He hasn't nursed to sleep for 3 months, so I have to rock him to sleep and then remove the pacifier and insert my nipple. He has to be good and asleep too. Sometimes he gets upset during the transition and I have to put the pacifier back in and rock him and then try again. He does take 4 naps during the day (they are very short...about 20 minutes).
    Hmmm. I guess that started around the same time. Do you think there is a correlation?