Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If they self-wean before 12 months?

Default If they self-wean before 12 months?

Hi ~ I was just curious about something. What do you do if the baby self-weans before they are 12 months old? (Let's say around 9 months). I hope that my baby will continue to bf until 12 months, but I was just thinking that I hear of a lot of babies self-weaning around 9-11 months & was just curious what do you do? I know cow's milk is a no-no until 12 months, & to start formula at that point seems odd (and not sure if a baby would take to it).

Thanks!

Default Re: If they self-wean before 12 months?

It would be hard to imagine a child self weaning before he could get up and WALK away. Most of the time a baby who "self weans" before a year has a mother who's taken bad advice from a Pedi/book about baby needing 3 square solid meals a day by this point. Do buy into this. No matter where you hear it. These standards come from babyfood companies. Someone who stands to make money selling you something you don't really need. Your chilld shoulg get the MAJORITY of his nutrition from you the 1st year of his life. All meals should be planned around the breast being the 1st and last course. WIth solids being the course in between.

Babies will sometimes go on nursing strikes at that age. This is not true weaning, and there are several things you can do to get through a strike.

Most babies I know of who supposedly "self weaned" before 1 year were supplemented with formula. They didn't wean so much as develop a preference for a bottle nipple.

A baby who is exclusively breastfed, and where solids are introduced as a supplement to (not a replacement for) breastmilk wil not wean before a year.

My baby is 9 months and at just before 8 mos was sick (ear infection, hand/foot/and mouth) and teething and went on a nursing strike and has never returned despite my making EVERY effort - and he had NEVER had formula prior to that. He did get bottles of EBM as I worked full time, but never had nipple confusion and halfway through the 6 weeks of straight pumping, I started my summer break as a teacher, so I was around to nurse and offer to nurse at every chance. So, yes, sometimes a strike occurs and a baby does not return to nursing, but it is not always because of something the mother did. I worked VERY hard to get my baby to nurse, but he is a very independent little boy - taking his first steps at 9 mos, never sits still unless he's asleep, completely on a sippy cup - no bottles. It was definitely his choice, not mine to wean.

So, yes, sometimes, despite a mother's best efforts and intentions (I was going to nurse at least one year and probably more), a baby stops nursing early - even though most don't self-wean before a year.

ps - sorry for the rant, but I was devasted when my son refused to return to nursing and would like to make others aware that it's not always because of something the mom did and that sometimes - although rare, I know - they do not come back after a strike.

Yes, you are correct that sometimes a baby strikes and does not return to the breast. I'm sorry you had that experience with your baby, and I am sure it must have been stressful and upsetting.

I am glad you are here to share that experience with other mothers. Knowing how to recognize a nursing strike, different ways to resolve it, and also knowing that sometimes a nursing strike does not resolve but becomes a permanent weaning, are all good things for nursing mothers to know about.

--Rebecca

I was hoping there was an answer here. Another reason for weaning earlier than expected (yes, there are numerous reasons why) is the hormones of pregnancy. My daughter is 9 months and at 8 months I noticed a decrease in supply (when I discovered we were pregnant with number two). Now at 9 months I have barely any. I was planning on still offering the small amount I do have until my milk came in for baby number two but she is NOT interested anymore. It is very upsetting because it was very difficult for us at first and it was a lot of hard work. I never knew that this could happen.

I think the reason there's no answer here is that... There's just no answer! What a mama does when her baby self-weans at less than a year is very individual. Some mamas fight it, some mamas accept it. Some succeed in bringing their babies back to the breast, some fail. Some are very comfortable using formula until a year, others would prefer to offer solids or the not-recommended animal milk. What you do, what your baby does... That's going to be as individual as the both of you are.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"