Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green Poop

Default Green Poop

My EBF baby who is doing great and growing like crazy had a very unusual green poop today. All of his other poops are yellow and seedy but this one was very green and seedy. Is this normal? He poops and has wets with every diaper still and has only had one green poop. What could have caused this and is it okay or normal?

Default Re: Green Poop

My baby's poop was reccently more green than usual also. My thoughts are that it probably has more to do with your diet than anything else. I read once that eating asparagus can make your milk green, and other foods can even make it pink or orange! So that's what I assumed. If everything is normal I wouldn't worry!

Green can be one of the variations of normal. Here's a link that should help put your mind at ease:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

Green poop is usually related to foremilk-hindmilk imbalance meaning if your baby got too much of either and too little of the other the poop may be green. Since it happened only once it is not a big deal at all.

My baby got really green poop after I drank a bunch of purple koolaid. It was the food dye.

In general, one green poop is within the realm of normal.

I have the same problem. I just can't get my 18 day old boy to stay awake long enough to get the hind milk. I have tried tickling, undressing him, he is either really sleepy or is not active enough. He has a lot of wet diapers, but gets these little "splat" dirty diapers. Not a ton of stool, but a yellow background then with a greenish seedy stool. I am not sure what to do about this? Any help would be great.

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-baby-A.htm

The occasional green stool is not unusual in the breastfed baby.

Consistently green stools in the breastfed baby can indicate:

an imbalance of foremilk/hindmilk, often resulting in frothy green stools.
    a sensitivity to something in the mother's diet, such as cow's milk products.
    a sign that baby has an illness. Babies with an intestinal virus or even a simple cold will sometimes have green, mucusy stools. Teething can also bring about green stools due to increased saliva (can also cause tummy upset)
    a lot of green vegetables or something with green food coloring in mom's diet.
    If baby has started solids, that could also account for the change in color (this is normal with the change in diet).
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by mollykolly View Post
    I have the same problem. I just can't get my 18 day old boy to stay awake long enough to get the hind milk. I have tried tickling, undressing him, he is either really sleepy or is not active enough. He has a lot of wet diapers, but gets these little "splat" dirty diapers. Not a ton of stool, but a yellow background then with a greenish seedy stool. I am not sure what to do about this? Any help would be great.
    I had the same problem with my DD. Tickling, undressing, any form of stimulation just would not wake her up. Turned out she was just bored with my flow slowing down after the initial let down. Breast compressions once she started falling asleep kept her awake long enough to get a good amount of hindmilk. You can watch videos on how to do breast compressions here.

HTH!
    ~Jaime~
    AP Mommy of
    Madison Anne
    February 8th, 2008

Exclusively since Day 1!

We love , and cloth diapering! !