Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Intermittent Fevers/Painful Breast

Default Help! Intermittent Fevers/Painful Breast

For over a month, I have been fighting with intermittent fevers. The issues started when my son bit me. I had my first BFing problems ever in the form of a clogged duct. Since then, I have only been clogged once, but the pins and needles sensation after every feeding continues. My nipple is wrecked in that the skin keep peeling on it.

Every 2-3 weeks I have been experiencing low-grade temperatures, which never manifested into anything. Now my fever has gone up to 101. I don't have any redness, clogged sensation or anything in my left breast, just a very painful nipple and some pins and needles that are different from the letdown sensation.

I plan to call my doctor tomorrow, but has anyone else experienced this? I'm starting to feel awful, so I'm thinking I'm getting my first case of mastitis.

Ashley
    Proud mommy to Michael Evan born May 11, 2007.

Default Re: Help! Intermittent Fevers/Painful Breast

Have you seen this resource Plugged Ducts and Mastitis? (Non LLL Resource)
    Sudden symptoms often warrant a trip to the doctor, is there an on call nurse that you could talk to?
    Are you able to do some of the suggested things to self treat in the meantime?

Good luck mama
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Is there any pus? How long has the skin on your nipple been open? Are you being treated for that at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post

Is there any pus? How long has the skin on your nipple been open? Are you being treated for that at all?
    The skin has been opened off and on for over a month ever since my son first bit me, but I haven't noticed any pus. I have some abx for mastitis, and I broke down last night and started taking them. My breast doesn't hurt right now, and I don't see any tell-tale redness, but I have a low-grade temp of 100.3.

I put a call into a nurse, so I hope to hear something soon!

Ashley

could be some thrush too if the skin of the nipple is broken.
    Burning pain makes me think thrush...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

According to the nurse practitioner I have mastitis. The only symptom I don't have is redness, but everything else is pretty much textbook.

Thanks for your replies. I'm starting Keflex this evening, so I hope to feel better in a couple of days.

Ashley

Poor mama,
    Mastitis is crummy!
    I filled a sock up with rice and then micro waved it for 30 seconds, shook it, then back in for another 30 seconds. It makes the breast feel better to have a warm moist compress on it. Not too hot now!