Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He doesn't get it

Default He doesn't get it

I started giving my LO a taste of solids around 5 1/2 months. And when I say taste I mean just a little bit on a spoon. I'd put some on the spoon and hand it to him and he'd chew on the spoon. I just wanted him to get used to it a little. When he turned 6 months I started giving him solids more regularly but all he does is spit it out with his tongue. Sometimes he opens his month to receive it but then will spit it out, other times he turns his head away. I normally try feeding him solids about an hour after bf'ing. I have even tried giving solids first, same reaction. He never liked rice cereal so we tried oatmeal instead. He has tried peas, carrots, apples and bananas. Will he eventually get it?
    Mom to Ethan - 7.5 months
    Wife to Beebe

http://www.tranfamilyblog.com

Default Re: He doesn't get it

Quote Originally Posted by beesgirl View Post
    Will he eventually get it?
    Yes.

Just be patient. Some babies don't fall in love with solids right away, but they all do in the end. At this age, according to my pediatrician, solids aren't necessary for nutrition, just for experimentation with new tastes and textures and new motor skills. Breastmilk alone is sufficient until the age of 1 year. Don't be surprised if breastmilk continues to make up the majority of your child's diet well into his second year, as the transition from needing only mama's milk to needing lots of solids is a gradual one. FWIW, my daughter didn't eat much solid food until around 14-15 months, when all of a sudden she decided that she quite liked it after all.

A lot of babies aren't fond of taking food that comes at them on a spoon. Sometimes it helps to give the baby the spoon and allow him to direct it into his own mouth, or to give the baby a spoon for each hand so he has something to play with while you stuff his face. If those techniques don't work, you might want to try letting your baby lead the way. Give him a variety of healthy solids on his high-chair tray and let him experiment with getting them into his mouth. We chose the last approach because we had no choice: DD would not take anything off a spoon! We started with soft bits of food from a chicken soup- boiled, shredded chicken, vegetables, and noodles.

Thanks!
    Wife to Beebe

Those actually sound like classic signs of "Not ready" to me. I agree to keep trying, but I would put it away for a week at a time. My son wasn't reasdy until about 7.5 months and we began trying right around 6months too. But don't spend alot of time and energy on it at this point since solids in the 1st year are really only about fun and exploration. Don't let food become a sore of frustrating spot for you. Your baby truly doesn't need anything but your milk at this point. If your baby isn't interested, simply try again next week.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Those actually sound like classic signs of "Not ready" to me. I agree to keep trying, but I would put it away for a week at a time. My son wasn't reasdy until about 7.5 months and we began trying right around 6months too. But don't spend alot of time and energy on it at this point since solids in the 1st year are really only about fun and exploration. Don't let food become a sore of frustrating spot for you. Your baby truly doesn't need anything but your milk at this point. If your baby isn't interested, simply try again next week.

I really enjoy breast feeding and am not ready to give it up, so Im not really anxious about the whole solid foods thing. But everyone is saying that we should keep trying with it so Ethan doesn't get a problem with the textures of food. Does that sound like something I should be concerned with?

Here is a video from today, Ethan might not love food but he loves the food processor. http://www.tranfamilyblog.com/
    Wife to Beebe

Quote Originally Posted by beesgirl View Post
    I really enjoy breast feeding and am not ready to give it up, so Im not really anxious about the whole solid foods thing. But everyone is saying that we should keep trying with it so Ethan doesn't get a problem with the textures of food. Does that sound like something I should be concerned with?

Here is a video from today, Ethan might not love food but he loves the food processor. http://www.tranfamilyblog.com/
    I think children either have issue with texture or they don't. I think that continuing to try is the way. I personally did BLS from the beginning so I never pureed anything. I gave my son only whole food that he could get in his own mouth. We tried once every couple of days...Banana, avacado, sweet potatos...the look on his face! Like "WHAT is THAT and WHY did I put it my mouth. And then...finally watermelon. The look was different and he finally put something to his mouth TWICE. That was really where it began. But he still pushed most everything out of his mouth until he was about 9months old. He wasn't ready. He wasn't ready. He was ready to explore but not actually eat. For almost 3months after we started and 1.5 months after he 1st actually wanted more than one taste of food.
    So yes keep trying. But the tongue reflex is natures way of protecting someone who is not yet ready to swallow food. Does that help?

Way too lazy for formula

Tongue thrust is a sign that baby is not completely ready for solids. Remember that solids are really for fun and experimentation at this age, so try not to be concerned that very little is making it into his tummy.

I will say don't push it. I made the mistake of pushing it with my son mainly because he has been horrible at BF from the beginning so I was worried that he would starve but it didn't help a bit. I had to take him to occupational therapy to solve all the issues which were partially caused by my pushing. He ended up doing everything on his own time.