Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop Patterns

Default Poop Patterns

my almost 5 week old was pooping at every change and then just stopped. I know they have a pattern change about this age but I was expecting them to slowly chage. Like 10 today 9 tomorrow 8 the next day and so on until they got to 1-2 a day or 1 every couple of days.

But my LO went from a poopy every hour to not one since 8pm last night. Don't get me wrong less easter diapers but I am a bit worried that it went all of a sudden. He still FILLS a daiper with pee every hour... Like OVER FLOW CITY so I know he is getting enough milk but has my quality gone down?

Default Re: Poop Patterns

No worries. If he's acting fine and peeing then it'll come out eventually!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Sounds like you're doing great! I wouldn't worry for one second about the quality of your milk- once a baby's gut matures enough, the constant poops stop very quickly. If I were you, I would watch out- since you've left the frequent little poops stage behind, the giant, diaper-busting poop stage can't be far away!

Well he finally pooped today. Its so bizaar. He went from water poop that all got absorbed into the diaper like pee with just the "seeds" on the surface to this soft playdoh looking stuff!!! He had 4 poop diapers today. Its strange how it can be so different over night!!!!

WHAT?!?!?! Diaper exploding poops!!! OH NO! I forgot about those from DS1!! (It was 5 year ago) Those up the back and up the front to the neck, down the legs and in the feet of the sleepers!!!! NOOOOO I dont want that again!

Same thing happened with my LO - the change from 8 a day to 2 or 3 a day happened almost overnight. I remember DH and I almost rushed DD to the doctor when we realized she hadn't pooped in almost 24 hours at one point. Now the consistency/color changes often but poop is poop.

We did just switch back from Pampers to Huggies and are having less of the poopslosions, thank goodness.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

We've experienced the same thing - an overnight change in frequency and consistency. The babies never seemed bothered by it, or uncomfortable, so I just went with it. Fewer dirty diapers is fine by me!