Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Faster to adjust 2nd time around?

Default Faster to adjust 2nd time around?

Hi! I am a second-time mom to a now 3-week old. Did any of you who have more than one find that the second time around your supply adjusted faster than the first? The first time around I was still feeling uncomfortably full and pumping a lot for comfort at this time. Now I'm not even leaking (I know I should be thankful about this.) I am looking to find out if this is normal or if I have less of a milk supply this time around. Also, I want to start pumping to build up my milk stock in the freezer for when I return to work and am concerned that I don't really have enough milk right now for him to nurse and to then pump. Any advice would be great! Thank you!

Default Re: Faster to adjust 2nd time around?

As I recall, my production wasn't "pump worthy" until after about 6 weeks. A great time to pump is after the first morning feeding.

How is your LO's output?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I do think that my supply adjusted quicker with the second than with the first. I've always wondered if it was my supply that adjusted or my expectations that adjusted since I knew more what was going on and how to deal with it.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

NolaMomma -
    His output is fine - I forgot how often a newbie dirties those diapers! - so that's not an issue. I guess I'm just concerned that if he starts to get hungrier there won't be enough even though I logical know that there's always milk there. I'm also concerned that I won't have enough pumped to keep up when I go back to work in June. Last time, I had tons of milk in the freezer for DS.

Your supply sounds fine! Check out the working and breastfeeding forum for threads that might help you figure out a program to starting and building your stash!

Keep us posted!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

2nd time around breast feeding was much easier and enjoyable for me. But like the first time, I did have an abundence of milk the first couple of months. But that was b/c my baby was so large. She demanded a lot from me. Your supply will adjust as your baby needs more.