Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing to sleep

Default Nursing to sleep

I've been nursing and rocking my 4 month old to sleep. He will go back to sleep on his own if wakes at night, but I'm worried I'm getting him into a bad habit. Will nursing him to sleep cause sleep problems later?

Default Re: Nursing to sleep

there was a thread on this topic somewhere in the forums not too long ago. maybe search for it, because reading it really helped me too.
    if your baby goes to sleep by itself during the night - that is great!!!
    And I am sure nursing your LO to sleep feels good for both of you, so why not keep it up?

good luck!!
    mother to Noah 9/17/2007
    wife to Victor 6/20/2006

Love to &
    because it is worth it

I think you are fine. I ALWAYS nurse my 9 month old before bed at night. Somtimes she is out cold when I place her in her crib and other times she is awake but drowsy.. she also can put herself back to sleep in the middle of the night so I don't worry about nursing her to sleep at night. AS long as you know that your baby doesn't ALWAYS need the breast to fall alseep I think you are ok.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by beccaandquinn View Post
    I've been nursing and rocking my 4 month old to sleep. He will go back to sleep on his own if wakes at night, but I'm worried I'm getting him into a bad habit. Will nursing him to sleep cause sleep problems later?
    No, nursing him to sleep won't cause sleep problems later on.

I think, that nursing to sleep is one of the best things you can have in your childcare "toolbox". I for one am GLAD that my lo will nurse to sleep. That ability has come in SO handy in situations where we're out of the house and lo needs a nap, or when going through teething struggles, or when dealing with toddler tantrums and a bunch of other sitch's too.

Now I know, alot of so called child experts say that you shouldn't nurse them to sleep, because they believe that it will cause them to always need to be nursed to sleep. But where are the scientific studies that prove that? Where are the millions of insomniac children who have sleep disorders because mom nursed them to sleep? And where are all the elementary schoolers/Junior High Schoolers/High Schoolers who can't sleep without being nursed to sleep? That's right, there aren't any!

www.askdrsears.com has some great info on sleep in his website. This particluar article from that site is really good and has great info on how the baby's body works regarding sleep: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp This link has links to the other sears' sleep articles: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

You're doing fine nursing to sleep. It's not going to cause sleep disorders or problems. It's a good tool to have to take care of your lo's. You can always add new tools to your toolbox later on, by working on other ways to comfort baby to sleep too. The more tools, the better, IMO!

I really don't think it will cause any long term problems.

I nurse DS to sleep every night.

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

Thank you all for the reassurance. I've checked out the links from Dr. Sears and it's good to see that at least one expert sees the value in letting a baby fall asleep in your arms or at the breast. So many are so against it. I'll keep up with the nursing to sleep. It's been such a great way for both of us to unwind after at busy day.
    exclusively for 4 months and counting