Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy at second breast

Default Fussy at second breast

Hi - my 4 week old occasionally acts like he wants to nurse more, so I give him the second breast. When this happens he gets really fussy, he will sometimes latch, but then will pull off and get really fussy. He will shake his head and act like hes trying to latch, but will not. I just follow his lead and don't force it, but is that right? What is happening?

Default Re: Fussy at second breast

My first thought is he's wanting to comfort suck, not eat, but the second breast is giving him more milk then he wants. Have you tried re-offering the first breast?

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Jazzy's Mommy had a good suggestion.
    Also sometimes babies also are sensitive to laying on one side or the other. You could try to slide him to the second breast in a football type hold, so instead of flipping him around, you are just sliding him over to the second breast.
    Following his lead is always a good idea, your doing a great job!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I agree, you should follow his lead and not force him to your breast. It could be as the pp suggested that he's full and just wants to suck without getting milk. You could try re-offering the first breast, or maybe try a paci... not everyone agrees with giving a paci to a baby so young, but we've been using one since day 3 and haven't had any problems. Maybe at 4 weeks you have BF established well enough that introducing a paci might not cause a problem, but that's for you to decide.

HTH,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

My 14 week old does that sometimes. With her its gas. I'll burp her and she is then either content or ready for more.

Thanks for your responses. It may be the comfort sucking. I use a paci, so I'll see if that works. I do try to burp him a few times during each feeding, but sometimes one just wont come out. I'll try that as well though.

It so nice to have support like this here!