Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long do I have tp pump every time she eats?

Default How long do I have tp pump every time she eats?

Hi there. I am a frustrated mother of a 3-and-a-half week old baby girl. I pump most of the time, and BF once a day. I intended to BF exclusively, but she is a very lazy sucker (taking 1.5 hours or so to finish, and still sometimes not full), and I leak profusely the entire time, so unless I catch the runoff in a bottle while she nurses the other side, and then feed it to her when she is done, she doesn't get enough to eat. =( That routine meant that I was pretty much a human pacifier for days on end with very few minutes between feedings.

In desperation, I started pumping with a Medela PISA. It is a slightly better arrangement, since she is getting enough to eat and gaining weight, my back doesn't ache from the contortionist act anymore, and I get sometimes and hour or so when I am not pumping or feeding. I do still nurse at least once a day, since I have read that the saliva-to-breast is needed to ensure the right immunities are created. But I still barely make enough milk, and sometimes still
    have to supplement with formula. I am hoping it is a growth spurt problem... she only weighs 8 pounds, but she eats 3.5-4 ounces every 2.5 hours.

So anyway, I am getting weary of my pumping schedule, and need encouragement. I pump every 3 hours, and I am wondering how long that is necessary? When does the 'spurt' end? When can I safely go 4 or 5 hours between pumps without worrying about supply?

Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: How long do I have tp pump every time she eats?

Hi there.

When I had my daughter (22 months ago) she refused to nurse. I ended up pumping exclusively for her for 11 months. I usually had to pump about every 3-3 1/2 hours during the day and once my supply was well established I only had to pump once during the night and then after a month or two of that I was able to stop the middle of the night session. I was to build my supply up to about 40-46 oz a day on about 7-8 sessions. It takes time and it is very tiring but you can do it!

Sometimes when babies get a bit older they get more efficient at the breast. Have you though about trying her at the breast more than once a day? When she is at the breast, using compressions can help keep a baby interested. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html Since you are still establishing a milk supply, it might be worthwhile to rent a hospital grade pump for a while. Here's some info on pumping you might find helpful. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

In the long run, you will probably find that the work it will take to get your baby exclusively to the breast is worth it.

If you have a local LLLeader, she has a lot of resources and can help you worth through your challenges. Give her a call!

Sorry to hear that you're having issues!

Quote Originally Posted by plasticspaceman View Post
    Hi there. I am a frustrated mother of a 3-and-a-half week old baby girl. I pump most of the time, and BF once a day. I intended to BF exclusively, but she is a very lazy sucker (taking 1.5 hours or so to finish, and still sometimes not full), and I leak profusely the entire time, so unless I catch the runoff in a bottle while she nurses the other side, and then feed it to her when she is done, she doesn't get enough to eat. =( That routine meant that I was pretty much a human pacifier for days on end with very few minutes between feedings.
    Has anyone IRL checked out her latch for you? Counting diapers is the best way to tell if baby is getting enough to eat. At her age you're looking for a minimum of 6 wet diapers and a few poopy ones per day. If a baby meets that minimum then the leaking milk can certainly be frozen for later use but it doesn't necessarily need to be fed to her right away to make sure she's getting enough to eat.

The first weeks are really tough. Like a marathon

So anyway, I am getting weary of my pumping schedule, and need encouragement. I pump every 3 hours, and I am wondering how long that is necessary?
    I would certainly be very tired of it too. I hated pumping. How long it is necessary depends on what your goals are. If you ever want to end the supplementation you're going to have to pump more often, not less.

When does the 'spurt' end?
    If you were entirely or mostly nursing then the spurt would end in several days, just under a week at most. But since your breasts didn't get that extra marathon-nursing stimulation then the situation for you will not change, you'll still probably need to use the same amount of formula.

When can I safely go 4 or 5 hours between pumps without worrying about supply?
    Probably not more than once a day, and a ways down the line from now at that, if you want to primarily feed breastmilk, I'm sorry. I have a great deal of sympathy for women who attempt to exclusively pump, it's a whole lot harder than riding out a few bad weeks in the beginning and then sailing smoothly. To try to maintain good milk supply without nursing it's recommended that a woman pumps 8-12 times per 24 hours. There is no point at which that decreases, if anything many women need to pump more over time because the baby's mouth is a lot better at stimulating supply than any pump.

If and when you want assistance in getting off the supplements and getting your baby back to regular breastfeeding then I'm sure we'd all be glad to help with that. But I hope my answers helped you a little bit even though it probably wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Here are a few links that might help:

Establishing and maintaining a milk supply when baby is not nursing
    Weaning from formula supplements
    I'm not pumping enough milk-- what can I do?
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.