Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much milk does a 3 week old breastfed baby take in one feeding?

Exclamation how much milk does a 3 week old breastfed baby take in one feeding?

my son is so small but i think he is not getting enough from me. at this stage i can only pump 2 ounces for the whole day on one breast. i tried having complete vitamins and healthy diet, i even take lactation vitamins but still the milk supply from my breast doesnt increase. i dont know if i am feeding my son fully and im worried... what shall i do?

Default Re: how much milk does a 3 week old breastfed baby take in one feeding?

hows his out put and weight gain?
    thats the way to know for sure he is getting the milk he needs.
    5-6 wet diapars, and more than 3 poops the size of a quarter.
    Weight gain of 6 oz a week for the 1st 3 months.
    how often is the baby nursing?
    some babies need to eat 12 times in 24 hours. Can you take the baby to bed for a few days and do nothing but nurse? That can realy help with milk supply and a slow gaining baby.
    when I was worried about my tiny babies I would count out 6 diapars in the morning and if they hadn't had the wets that they needed I would try and put them to the breast in the eve.. after supper. That always made that one extra wet diapar.
    are you working with a lll leader or a lc? A leader might be able to teach you how to nurse beter.
    good luck!

My LC advised that my baby should be taking around 1.5oz-2oz and my baby is a month old and weighs 7lbs2ozs. She was 5lbs 14ozs at birth. I know the LC uses a calculation based on the baby's weight to see how much they should be taking, but then again it could vary if they are going through a growth spurt. My baby sometimes takes more or less.

At this age, he is to young to offer bottles. Nipple confusion and others issues could develop. So, you need to nurse, nurse, nurse. Mine wanted to nurse constantly the first several months. Also, the amount you pump is no indication of how much the baby gets. When my daughter was 6 months and still exclusively bf, I was able to pump about an oz. My daughter was not eating any solids, and was always 75% for weight. So, obviously the she was able to get out more than the pump.

Hi There!

The pump is a very poor measure of supply--many mothers find that they let down much better for the baby than for a machine. Makes sense, right?

The best way to tell if your baby is getting enough to eat is to watch his output. Here is a good article for you:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!