Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reduced supply after pumping for a weekend

Default Reduced supply after pumping for a weekend

My pediatrician asked me to pump and give formula for a weekend. This is due to my DD not gaining weight - 2 months old and not back at birth weight. We had all the tests and labs run, and all is normal, so we're back at my milk. We need to see if she can gain weight on the formula.

My supply is dropping quickly though. I have a hospital grade double pump. I'm pumping every two-three hours. Usually right after she gets a bottle. I pump for 30 minutes usually. But my supply is dropping. Pretty drastically. I'm only getting maybe an ounce and a half when I pump now, compared to normally. I have one more day of this and worried that my supply will be gone completely! I'm only getting like eight ounces over the course of a day!

I take fenugreek and blessed thistle. I drink three cups of Mothers milk tea and just bought red raspberry leaf tea. I have domperidone on order. I'm freaking out basically! I want her to gain weight, but I DO NOT want to give up breastfeeding! Not to mention I'm getting a clogged duct from just pumping.

I don't know what to do. After this weekend, how hard is it to get my supply back to normal? She was getting enough wet and dirty diapers before, she just wasn't gaining. I'm so frustrated. I'm half mad at the pedi, mad at myself, mad at my pump and mad at my boobs. I'm trying everything and now breastfeeding is going to be a struggle to get her off supplements!

Default Re: Reduced supply after pumping for a weekend

I am right there with you. I am going through the exact same thing in a sense. My daughter did regain her birth weight, but she only gained 4oz in 3 weeks and I was told to supplement with formula to see if she gains. If not then the pedi will run tests. I hate the fact that I have to give her formula. I thought about just not listening and keep nursing, but if there is an underlying issue I do not want to mask it.

I have tried fenugreek, blessed thistle, domperidone, and reglan. I haven't seen any major changes. I just ordered goat's rue after reading it has worked for some women on this board. I am not a great resource because Im still fighting the battle. I just wanted you to know, I know what you're going through.

I am sure others will chime in with some advice. Good luck!

Hi mama,
    Can you tell us more about your birth- any problems with blood loss or medications? Do you have any thyroid conditions or preexisting medical concerns? How about baby's lowest weight and subsequent weights so we can get an idea of what's going on?.

At two months old you can expect a baby who is gaining well to nurse between 8 to 12 times a day. A good start is removing milk every two hours.

Some women just have trouble responding to a pump the way they would to a baby's sucking. Do you sense any let down while pumping?

Have you checked your pump for any weird noises, checked the seals? Does everything fit right, no pain?

What sort of things are you using as cues to trigger a let down? Any sweaty baby cloths to sniff? Looking at baby?
    Last edited by carpentergirl; March 22nd, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Hi mama,
    Can you tell us more about your birth- any problems with blood loss or medications? Do you have any thyroid conditions or preexisting medical concerns? How about baby's lowest weight and subsequent weights so we can get an idea of what's going on?. .
    I had a planned c/s due to her being breech. Milk came in 4 days later. No medical concerns that I know of.

Her birth weight was 7 lbs 2 oz. Lowest was 6 lbs 4 oz two weeks later. At one month was up to 6 lbs 9 oz. Then she lost an ounce, which caused the concern and prompted weekly weigh ins, and then thrice weekly weigh ins. She is now at 6 lbs 15 oz.

I was feeding, pumping, giving pumped milk, and then giving formula. A lot of work. Her pedi said that they were concerned that she was using up all of her energy just to eat, and that she didn't have any calories left to gain weight. She would nurse for up to an hour. I never heard anything that said that was wrong, so I just let her.

I'm seriously getting discouraged with this pumping.

what did she weigh when you left the hospital? The reason I ask is that you count weight gain from the lowest initial weight. It is normal to lose around 10% of baby's birth weight.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; March 22nd, 2008 at 10:27 PM.

I'm not sure of when we left the hospital, because she was never weighed past the morning of the second day (we left afternoon of the third). That morning she weighed 6 lbs 13 oz.

Ok, good enough.

So essentially she has dropped some weight, and been slow to gain it back. You say her wet diapers were good when bf? So it seems like you are making a sufficient amount of milk if this is the case. A goal for a well hydrated baby is 5-6 wet diapers and 2-3 bowel movements. Can you tell us what you saw?

How did you feel about the latch? Any discomfort, heard swallowing?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Ok, good enough.

So essentially she has dropped some weight, and been slow to gain it back. You say her wet diapers were good when bf? So it seems like you are making a sufficient amount of milk if this is the case. A goal for a well hydrated baby is 5-6 wet diapers and 2-3 bowel movements. Can you tell us what you saw?

How did you feel about the latch? Any discomfort, heard swallowing?
    yeah she has been really slow to gain it back, and not consistant either. She had around 4-6 wet diapers a day on average. Some times more, but never less. And they were sopping wet, super heavy diapers. Her poops were yellow-orange and seedy, and she might have one, sometimes two a day. Not mucousy or green at all.

I heard swallowing, especially with my let down. I had multiple let downs when she nursed, I couldn't feel them, but I could hear her start gulping.

I've had pain with my latch for a while, but I have sores that I can't get to heal. At our last LLL meeting the leaders looked at her latch and said it looked good, so I don't think thats the issue. I think that I've been battling thrush for a while. I've been on two rounds of diflucan and can't get it to go away.

Is the baby also being treated for thrush?

I've been dealing with it for 7 weeks. The baby is on Nystatin and I did one round of diflucan and I also use lotrimin and APNO (All Purpose Nipple Cream) its slowly going away. I thought we were clear a couple weeks ago, I must have missed seeing a spot in the baby's mouth because a week later I had it again.

She was treated (Nystatin) but she has never had any symptoms. When I went for my 6 week checkup, my OB said that it didn't look like thrush anymore. And then a week later I'm having pain again. My OB is now on maternity leave, and the doctor that I would see now doesn't normally treat pregnant/nursing women. I called to get another round of diflucan, and she told me that she really doesn't think its thrush and basically said I should quit nursing. SO, I'm not getting any help there.

I'm not actually sure if its thrush. I do have the burning feeling quite often. And sometimes the stretchy pully pain in the ducts. So it completely sounds like it, but doesn't look like it. Make sense?