Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Encouraged but still have questions...

Default Encouraged but still have questions...

After having my supply drop I've been pumping like crazy and still having to supplement with formula a bit... My son is 15 days old right now. I let him nurse before everytime I pump and he'll be on there for about 35-45 minutes. He'll be actively sucking for maybe a 3rd or 1/2 of the time. Then he get frustrated and I can't get him to want stay latched anymore. Then I'll feed him while I pump and he'll drink about 3 ounces... And I'll pump about an ounce and 1/2 (which is up a lot from earlier this week). So, while he is getting latched on, I'm not sure that he's actually drinking from me. Yesterday I went in to the pedi's office to talk about some options and they directed me to the health center and I got some great encouragement from a woman and some numbers to local leaders in my area. Monday I am going to call them (I'm not sure if I can call them on the weekend) and see if I can meet with them but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone might have some input as to why he's not drinking much from me-maybe his latch isn't that great or I'm not sure what it is, but just as I'm typing my husband just fed him 3 oz and he just finished nursing from me for about an hour...and I'm almost finished pumping and got a little over an ounce... doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me..

Default Re: Encouraged but still have questions...

It's going to be really difficult for you to pump milk until your milk supply is established, usually around 6 wks., but very important for you to keep it up so that you can break away from the supplements.

When he's nursing do you ever notice milk drip down his face or down your breast as he comes off?

How is his output? How many wet and dirty diapers?

How often are you nursing and pumping and lastly are you supplementing only after he's nursed for a while, each time?

Just trying to get a better understanding so we can help you let go of those supplements!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: Encouraged but still have questions...

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    It's going to be really difficult for you to pump milk until your milk supply is established, usually around 6 wks., but very important for you to keep it up so that you can break away from the supplements.

When he's nursing do you ever notice milk drip down his face or down your breast as he comes off?
    I know he is getting a little from me because he did spit a little up at one point but i'm not sure he's drinking from me for very long... i'm trying to make sense... like, sometimes it seems he's drinking from me inthe beginning but as the session goes on he seems to not be... I take him off and try putting him back on, compressions, taking his clothes off..

How is his output? How many wet and dirty diapers?
    He's starting to poop more frequently again. he has tons of wet diapers.. he seems to be like my daughter in that fact! always peeing!

How often are you nursing and pumping and lastly are you supplementing only after he's nursed for a while, each time?
    i'm been really trying to pump at least every 2 some times 2 1/2 hours. during the night it's been not as close but I let him nurse before each time. During the night though he seems to have a harder time latching on.. i'm not sure why.. the environment is exactly the same... but he'll be on me for about 35-45 minutes and before I supplement him I'll try putting him back on one more time but he usually won't take it.. then he'll eat about 3 oz.
    Just trying to get a better understanding so we can help you let go of those supplements!
    Thank you!