Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: homemade baby food and water

Default homemade baby food and water

My DD is 6 months old. We gave her solids for the first time about a week ago. We're wanting to do homemade food so we gave her avocado. I am going to give her sweet potato this morning. Ellie had her 6 mo. checkup yesterday and her dr. told me to give her Infant Rice Cereal for Iron. Does brown rice or any fruits/veggies have enough iron or should i give her the infant rice cereal?

Also, her dr. said to give her 6 oz of water a day for fluoride. Is this something that all baby's need at this age?

Default Re: homemade baby food and water

Infant cereal is controversal about the Iron. Peds always push it- some research says that babies still get iron from mama's milk after 6 months or that their iron stories don't competely run out. Other than iron, infant cereal is not healthy and not something I would want to fill my baby up with. I just had my 9 month old's iron checked at her 9 month appointment ( its only a fingerstick blood teset) and she was perfectly fine.. she has had infant cereal maybe 3 times in her life. Meats especially red meat is high in iron as is spinich but I am not sure if you can give spinach to a 6 month old.. I am sure others will be knowledable I just wanted to add that you don't HAVE to do infant cereal just like you don't have to feed your lo baby food despite what mosts peds say!!
    I am one of those peeps that believe that mama's milk is perfect.... The only suppliment I give my lo is Vit D because where we live seeing the sun doesn't happen much in the winter.
    Good luck in your decision.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

You can skip rice cereal altogether. It is very processed and has no real nutritional value other than the iron they add and that isn't going to be nearly as absorbable as the when it comes directly from foods that actually have iron in them rather than being fortified with it.
    Rice cereal is not on LLL list of 1st food and plenty of us here have skipped it with no issues of anemia. I think the key is to feed iron rich foods.

Fluoride is also a controversial topic. But I did start to feed my son sips of water with his meals after 6months so he would get used to water with meals and learn that the other acceptable fluid to drink is water. And he's two and has been drinking and expecting to drink water with every meal since around the 10month old point. So I would introduce water.

Way too lazy for formula

My kids have great teeth and never exposed to water with fluoride. They teeth are fine. I am not a fan of add fluoride dh did alot research and lets say he said no. At 6months old I think 6oz of water to too much...IMO.

As for cereal I have no opinion because I did homemade food with ds and his iron was low at 9months and I was using store cereal but I did not give him vitamins. Now dd2 I am doing both commerical food and homemade food and vitamins without iron. She has had one box of cereal so far and I make her oatmeal. So, at her 9months we will see.

Good luck and I hope you have fun making baby food. I always feel good when I make my kids fresh food.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/Iron.htm This is a list of iron-rich foods babies can eat.

You can compare the foods in this chart with the ones that contain foods babies can eat at certain ages:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood4to6montholdbaby.htm These are the foods baby can eat at 6 mo.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood6to8montholdbaby.htm These are the foods baby can eat at or after 6 mo.

We did the cereals from about 5 mo to about 7 and gave up b/c they constipated ds all the time. It was a never-ending battle. So at his 9 month check-up, I asked them to check his blood iron level and it was normal. Each child is different.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I do homemade organic food too, but I haven't ben brave enough to grind my own brown rice for cereal, so I buy the Earth's best organic oatmeal and rice cereal. It's got iron it, but no pesticides!! I'm a fan of Earth's best brand !! Also,my ped said the water thing too, I give my DD EBM in her sippy cup, she's had a few sips of h2o...but thats it.
    Proud Mommy to:
    Savannah Hope
    6-22-07
    8 lbs 12 oz at birth, now 32 lbs!! and Baby #2 on the way!

Avacado is a great source of Iron! I say keep up the good work; sounds like you're doing fine as you are!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

BF babies don't need supplemental iron. The synthetic iron (in cereals and vit/mineral drops) actually blocks the absorption of the iron in your BM. You can have her hemoglobin checked to be sure she is absorbing okay, but it is not necessary unless there are signs of deficiency. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

We do the homemeade baby food as well. It's easy and my ds loves it! The website posted earlier is a great website; I really recommend it! We didn't do the infant cereal because it constipated him as well. I asked the dr. about ds getting enough iron and the he stated that ds didn't have to eat infant cereal to get the needed iron. He recommended skipping the cereal and going straight to veges and fruits. My ds is now 8 months and we mix a little Earth's Best oatmeal in with his fruits and he loves it. The oatmeal doesn't constipated him like the rice.

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/Iron.htm This is a list of iron-rich foods babies can eat.

You can compare the foods in this chart with the ones that contain foods babies can eat at certain ages:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood4to6montholdbaby.htm These are the foods baby can eat at 6 mo.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood6to8montholdbaby.htm These are the foods baby can eat at or after 6 mo.

We did the cereals from about 5 mo to about 7 and gave up b/c they constipated ds all the time. It was a never-ending battle. So at his 9 month check-up, I asked them to check his blood iron level and it was normal. Each child is different.
    That's a great website, they have a recipe for brown rice cereal. It's really easy to make. I just started introducing baby to solids and she's still trying to get the hang of it, but so far she's had no problems with it.

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!