Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you know when they ar done?

Default How do you know when they ar done?

Okay, I was bf ds the other day and he kept coming off and on my breast. He was not fussing, he was just being weird. So how do you REALLY know if they are done eating on the first side? The other side I usually know, b/c he turns away and is interested in other things.
    Also, is it unusual for ds to feed longer on the second side than the first side? Just wandering
    Thanks

Default Re: How do you know when they ar done?

I always have gone by what DS physically tells me, and I can feel that my breast is not full. He doesn't always feed on both sides, so I am not sure I can help you there. I have never been a timer, if I was DS 1 would have starved (he spent hours at the breast) and DS 2 would have been fighting me because he is always done in 10 minutes tops.

I go by if he is falling asleep, he goes off, and if he is looking around more then he is on, then I take him off.

I was just wandering. There are days ds is fallig asleep and I take him off. There are days he is WAY too interested in everthing else-that nosy little boy. Most of the time he will nurse for a couple of minutes, come off, relatch on with excitement. come off. relatch on again. It is funny to watch and I was wandering if anyone else has that problem. SOmetimes I am wandering if that is his way of telling me he is done with that side, but I don't thnk 2 min is long enough when he is not actively sucking the whole time.
    I just love him! Maybe a nursing necklace will keep him more interested at the boob!!

Cutiepie, your last post could be my son!! He nurses for 2 minutes and then seems to get bored or something. He'll latch on for a second, pull off, latch on, pull off...repeat. so, then I switch him over to the other side, he'll nurse two minutes there, and then start the pulling off thing. I have no idea if he's really done, or just looking around, but I can't get him to actively suck anymore, so I burp him and consider him done.

He's only 15 pounds at 6 months old, so I worry he's not getting enough....
    First time Mommy to Alexander - Born Jan 15, 2006

Yours weighs more than mine!! He is 6.5 mo old and weighs 12lbs and some change! I figure if he is hungry still, he would cry for more. I usually try nursing him again an hour later just to get some more milk in him. He nurses REALLY well when I feed him before I go to bed (around 11pm) and in the morning when he wakes up. He usually nurses well if he wakes in the middle of the night, or if I have been away from him for a long time (4+ hours). Other than that-its like you said. I don't know if he is getting enough or if he is done.........I though about renting a scale for the weekend to weigh him after each feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutiepie
    He nurses REALLY well when I feed him before I go to bed (around 11pm) and in the morning when he wakes up. He usually nurses well if he wakes in the middle of the night, or if I have been away from him for a long time (4+ hours). Other than that-its like you said. I don't know if he is getting enough or if he is done.........I though about renting a scale for the weekend to weigh him after each feeding.
    We could have the same baby!! Let me know how the scale renting thing goes, because I've thought the very same thing.

We just had his 6 month check up and he went from being in the 25th percentile to the 10th, but my doctor wasn't concerned, so I guess I shouldn't be either...but it's so hard NOT to be!!
    First time Mommy to Alexander - Born Jan 15, 2006

My dd is starting to get way more interested in looking around at what's going on especially if she hears someone walk in etc. than taking the time to nurse. I usually just take her cues to when she's finished. If she acts hungry again soon I feed her again She nurses long at night too. I think she's just so tired it's comforting for her. She's a bit younger than yours (but she's right there in weight ) so maybe they are just little busy bodies. As long as they are growing and gaining I think they must be OK!

My dd is becoming very distractable, too. I guess it is the age. She comes off and on very frequently, and always has, so I feel like I am always sore from latching and re-latching. I think I am going to have to start nursing her in private because the sounds from her sister and dad really get to her. She always turns and arches her back to see them, sometimes letting go first and sometimes not! Ouch! She is very nosy! But I also keep trying and after a while assume she is done if she doesn't stay on.

Amberlori,
    Okay, I have tried the scale thing. The first time my milk would not let down so I put the scale away for a couple of days. I tried again today and there must be something wrong with the scale because ds was nursing VERY well and when I reweighed him it had no change............
    I also tried nursing beads to see if that would help him stay on longer and less interested in other things around him. Ha.....he kept trying to put the beads in his mouth as he was nursing. It was the funniest thing I had seen in a while!!
    People that have not seen him in a while say how big he has gotten. They must be referring to how long he is and how chubby his cheeks are!!
    I will try the scale thing again soon. It is more annoying and frustrating than anything.