Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation: Does it improve with age?

Default Constipation: Does it improve with age?

Hi there,

We are having some constipation issues since introducing solids a little over a month ago. I cut out rice cereal and bananas, and started giving pears daily. And still this week she has suffered terribly trying to poo. From searching on this forum i see that constipation seems to be a common topic. I wonder if mums who have been thru this could tell me if it got better as their lo's got older?
    We have now cut out solids completely and i am not sure when to start to reintroduce them.

Many thanks

Default Re: Constipation: Does it improve with age?

Hi mama,
    Welcome to the forum!
    Can you tell us more about the age of your infant? What fluids baby drinks, how often you are nursing?

She is 7.5 months and i pretty much exclusively pump but sadly often have to supplement with formula (around 4oz per day). During the day she takes EBM every 2 - 2.5 hours, occasionally nurses during evening and night (although she often sleeps thru the night now). I give her water during the day in a sippy cup which she mostly plays with but she will take sips of water from my glass if i hold it for her. I prob could make more of an effort to get her to take more water if it would help?

We introduced solids gradually at 6 months, starting with rice cereal (which was quickly discarded!) before moving on to pears, sweet potato, butternut squash and carrot. The last two weeks she has only had one meal a day (after bottle of EBM ) consisting of pears and apricot and she also munches on rice cakes for fun.

I think she may now be afraid to poop because it was sore last time.

I dont know where to go from here as i was avoiding the usual suspects and giving plently poop inducing foods.

4 oz is not much.

Breast milk is the best thing I can think of to help. It stimulates the digestive system and helps make bowel movements regular.

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes we have dropped the solids so hopefully we will be back to breast milk poo's soon. But what now? Leave solids till she is older? She loves food and kicks off if we are eating and she's not! We are having to eat in secret

dr sears has some great info on his web site.
    With a long list of things to try to help.
    AT that young age you can go back to just breastmilk...
    whole grains that she can self feed while your eating might help!
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

What helped my DD get back to softer, easier poos was to introduce more meats, fats, soup/broth, etc. I think too much fiber is really tough on the system. PM me if you would like more info. www.fibermenace.com

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.