Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you nurse lying down?

Default Re: How do you nurse lying down?

I put my baby in the crook of my arm while laying on my side. You just hold the baby to you breast with that same arm. Eventually you'll get so good at it that you won't even have to think about it. Now I just lay on my side and let the baby find my boob..lol.

actually I have the same question, and my baby is 7 weeks old now. It does get easier as the baby gets older: now I can nurse him more comfortably on my left since he can sleep on his right side now. And I didn't put his head in the crook of my arm, since my boobs are rather small, once on my side it's almost level with him.
    oh, my question with nursing in bed: how to move the baby to the other breast while lying down??? I was told to put the baby on top of my body and turn, but I can't figure out how to pick him up to put on my body without getting up. last week I tried nursing him in bed the whole night, and ended up putting him in the middle of the bed while I move to the other side after each feeding!!!!

This is what my 8 wk old and I are currently working on. He doesn't latch on as well from the side-lying position very often, but the few times he did were heaven! That's what has kept me trying and trying! I'm a little sore and I think it's because he doesn't latch as well because usually by the end of the day I'm feeling better, just to start over again in the morning.
    Anyway, hang in there!! We sure are!

Quote Originally Posted by tanhui2
    oh, my question with nursing in bed: how to move the baby to the other breast while lying down??? I was told to put the baby on top of my body and turn, but I can't figure out how to pick him up to put on my body without getting up. last week I tried nursing him in bed the whole night, and ended up putting him in the middle of the bed while I move to the other side after each feeding!!!!
    I was also doing the musical chairs thing with my baby (her in the middle, with me doing the switching sides), until I figured out the "hug & roll." I lay on my side with her on her side facing me (as we do most of the night anyway), then I hug her to me with both arms and all at once roll both of us over ... voila! Let me know if you get it figured out, it took me a few nights but now we're so good at it she sometimes will go back to a sound asleep when I do it.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I couldnt' really do it until my son was about 12 weeks old (I had a C-section to heal from too). I have large breasts and he struggled to latch and a lot dribbled down the side, but as he got bigger and stronger it got easier.I needed pillows behind him to keep him from rolling backwards, and behind me to support my back. We just weaned a week ago and 2.5 years and for the past year or more all of our nursing has been at night laying down. I did get up and sit in a chair for those first 12 weeks until I healed and felt more comfortable with having him in our bed and nursing on my side. I'm a total night nursing and co-sleeping champ (or I was until we weaned!). I loved it. Good luck, and two weeks is still really early, so hang in there.