Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about to throw in the breast (help)

Default about to throw in the breast (help)

im rather new at this my baby is just over two weeks and we have been breastfeeding from the beginning with TONs of issues.

first of i can never tell if he is latched on correctly, i am assuming that he is as it does not hurt any longer at our feedings. in the beginning i was struggling with the proper latch and he ended up damaging my nipple but that has now healed.

every night i struggle to get him latched on, he bobbs his head so much and his little arms are all over the place at every feeding, we are feeding at every two to three hours; some nights every hour for whatever reason. even if he has latched on for like 10 mins i will go to burp him and he will start to bob his head so i offer him more. btw he seldom burps????? i get spit up about half of the time.
    his times at the breast are not consistent; some times it can be 10 mins others 35-40 mins? i just dont understand.

he was born 8lbs 15oz then fell to 8lbs 6oz; at our last dr visit he was 8lbs 13 oz . but i am still not sure that he is getting enough at times he is only eating 10-15 mins every 2-3 hours? one side is that enough?

i have attempted to pump and i would say that i get on the average of 1 oz? how do people get 4 oz at pumping? i just done understand.

he has several wet diapers i would say 7-8 a day however poop diapers are rare. i would say 1-2 a day sometimes every other day?

im just really frustrated at this point that he does not feed all that well, i thought this would come natural however that has not been the case at all.

Default Re: about to throw in the breast (help)

I have been where you are and made it through. My son is 15 months now. You CAN do this. It is so frustrating when you feel like you are constantly hitting obstacles.

My son was always an efficient nurser. I worried he wasn't getting enough when he was nursing for 10 minutes or less per session. But the proof is in the diapers! It sounds like he is wetting a lot. Pooping every couple days isn't that rare for a breastfed baby. Some go every 7-10 days!

Just like we like to have various meals and snacks during the day, sometimes our babies eat the same way. Sometimes they eat for comfort, just like me

Regarding the pump. Some people don't respond well to the pump, I definately don't. It doesn't mean the milk isn't there. Your baby is the most efficient at removing milk from your breast. Also, you are exclusively breastfeeding meaning your child is getting the majority of the milk A lot of Moms who are getting 4 oz at a time are JUST pumping, not nursing aswell, KWIM? Or some Moms have a larger supply which does not mean your child isn't getting enough. Try not to compare.

If you feel his hands are getting in the way could you try swaddling while nursing? I know its not ideal, but we had to resort to that sometimes.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Hi mama,

It sounds like you are frustrated, and wondering what your baby is up to!
    Here is a refferance to all the newborn reflexes, the bobbing around is called the rooting reflex http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=41 It is how baby finds the breast.
    Here is some information on baby led positions since it seems like you have a baby that is interested in latching himself! http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/bla.html

When you place baby on the breast can you explain your hand position to us?

Smile Re: about to throw in the breast (help)

Please don't give up you will so regret it. It isn't easy but hang in there. Your baby feeds on demand so just let your baby feed whenever you are doing so well. I too can only get 1oz off each breast when i express. If your baby is putting on weight (sounds like baby is): is content between feeds, producing plenty of wet nappies. Coz you can't see how much milk your baby is getting you don't know if they are getting enough milk so it makes you worry but try not too as your doing a fantastic job

Quote Originally Posted by trishaw_mps View Post
    im rather new at this my baby is just over two weeks and we have been breastfeeding from the beginning with TONs of issues.
    Sorry to hear you're off to a frustrating start.

first of i can never tell if he is latched on correctly, i am assuming that he is as it does not hurt any longer at our feedings. in the beginning i was struggling with the proper latch and he ended up damaging my nipple but that has now healed.
    If he's making the right number of wet/poopy diapers, and you're not in pain, then that's success!! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

every night i struggle to get him latched on, he bobbs his head so much and his little arms are all over the place at every feeding, we are feeding at every two to three hours; some nights every hour for whatever reason. even if he has latched on for like 10 mins i will go to burp him and he will start to bob his head so i offer him more. btw he seldom burps????? i get spit up about half of the time.
    his times at the breast are not consistent; some times it can be 10 mins others 35-40 mins? i just dont understand.
    It's okay that the timing is different. During the first few months some babies nurse on and off in sort of an erratic way. Nights can be a tough time for babies (and mamas!) He might be a little calmer if you tried offering the breast a bit sooner. Bobbing and being hard to latch can mean that he's gotten a little too hungry. That can make babies sort of frantic. It could also just be his fussy time. The evenings are notorious for that. Here are a few links:

Cluster Feeding and Fussy Evenings
    My baby fusses or cries during nursing-- what's the problem?

he was born 8lbs 15oz then fell to 8lbs 6oz; at our last dr visit he was 8lbs 13 oz . but i am still not sure that he is getting enough at times he is only eating 10-15 mins every 2-3 hours? one side is that enough?
    Is he making at least 6 wet diapers and several poopy diapers every day? If it's coming out, then it has to be going in. It's hard to judge the baby's intake any other way. Was your pediatrician happy with the weight gain? Have you tried offering the breast more often? Once a baby pulls of the first side then it's time to offer the other. But sometimes the baby has had enough at that point.

i have attempted to pump and i would say that i get on the average of 1 oz? how do people get 4 oz at pumping? i just done understand.
    The normal amount to pump is between .5 ounces to 2 ounces from both breasts combined. Women who are able to get more than that may have an oversupply or just get really good results from their pump. Getting 1 ounce is very normal. I can't even come close to getting that. I could never even get half an ounce most of the time.

he has several wet diapers i would say 7-8 a day however poop diapers are rare. i would say 1-2 a day sometimes every other day?
    The wets sound good. The poop can be a little more variable. Is it a good amount when he does go, like a handful (sorry if that's a gross image!) and loose or pasty? How old is he exactly?

im just really frustrated at this point that he does not feed all that well, i thought this would come natural however that has not been the case at all.
    It will get better, don't worry. Don't give up on him. He just needs a little more time to get into the groove of it. Nursing is the most natural thing in the world but it DOES NOT always come naturally! It didn't for me, that's for sure. The first 7 weeks were really rough for me. I thought I'd never like breastfeeding and I was really disappointed. But after I got over the hump I finally understood what all the bonding stuff was about, and why many women love breastfeeding. Just hang in there!!!!!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Honestly, it sounds like you're doing great!!!! Congrats! Don't give up - you're on track...its almost never 100% bump-free!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I know it's confusing in the beginning but you actually sound like you're doing well. Don't worry about the pump. I've been BFing for 8 months and I frequently only pump 1 or 2 ounces. Most women, who have been pumping a while and have big milk supplies (because their babies are older and eat more) only pump 2-3 ounces at a time.

My cousin exclusively BFed her three daughters and had a great supply each time. But she could rarely pump more than 1 ounce for some reason.

Basically, babies are much more efficient at removing milk from a breast than the pump is. It's a different type of suck. Plus, you might not let-down your milk for the pump like you do for your LO. Or the breastshields might be too small. There are many reasons, but definitely in the beginning, it's rare to pump a lot.

If your LO is having a good diaper output - which is the case, it sounds like - you should just have faith. You have the milk, he has the latch. You're good to go!

Congratulations!

We have had very similar issues and then some along the way but we are still nursing at 20 months!!! So don't give up. Contrary to popular belief BF doesn't come naturally. Even primates learn it by watching their mothers. Humans learn it too. Since in our society we usually don't get a chance to watch other women to learn, it takes some time for us but eventually it happens. The fact that your baby has many wet diapers and some poopy ones and weight gain is OK means you are doing just fine. My mother says that the rule for a BF baby (especially in the first 6 weeks) is feed him/her whenever a horse moves its tail: which means ALL THE TIME. As the babies get older they get more efficient and the nursing will get less frequent (may or may not be on schedule depending on the baby) and shorter but right now your baby needs the boob constantly in order to grow and thrive. Keep up what you are doing, keep offering the breast and you'll see how things will get better and soooooo rewarding for both of you.

uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg why oh why
    um lost and ready to jump somewhere . . . . okay he just ate at 130am and now again at 230 he is fussing yo eat again what the hell he has been doing almost from day one i cannot take this and it only happens at night day feed=ing are fine

Angry Re: about to throw in the breast (help)

idk :

idk