Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help any ideas

Unhappy Help any ideas

My baby daughter is now 9 weeks she was 4lb9oz when born she is now 6lb 4oz. I've had problems with her putting on weight so i was asked by her peadiatrician to top after a breastfeed. I first of all topped up with SMA gold but this didn't help so she was put on presciption formula milk called Infatrini. Before the top ups she breastfed beautifully but now it a nightmare i've been very close to giving up which i don't want to do. For some reason she won't feed propely at weekends but weekdays she is fine feeding it is driving me mad. I have a double electric breast pump to use at the weekend. Please has anyone got any ideas to help me & my baby enjoy breastfeeding again:

Default Re: Help any ideas

Are you using a bottle to top her up with the formula? There is a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) that is a tube you can attach to your nipple. The tube is attached to a bottle of milk/formula. This allows the baby to still "breastfeed" and stimulate your breast without the risk of nipple confusion or flow preferance from the faster flow of the bottle.

When you top her up are you pumping aswell? Any time that you are offering formula, you are also telling your body to produce less milk because she isn't removing that milk from your breasts.

What difference is there around your home on weekends? Is your partner home? Is the TV on? Are there people visiting? Could she be distracted by something in the home during the weekend?

Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Help any ideas

I have just sent off for a supplement nursing system from Amazon.com to help me. the only thing different is my son is off nursery. I am expressing whenever i get the chance so my milk supply doesn't go. I think my baby has got teat confusion as i've give her a bottle which i totally regret.