Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need help! jaundiced 8 day old...

Default Re: need help! jaundiced 8 day old...

Oskersmommy, we had the same problem with ds. He was 7 lb 7 oz at birth and by day 3 his weight dropped to 6 lb 2 oz. DS' bilirubin was up to 21 by the third day and my milk took close to 6 days to come in. The third day he was born they put us back in the hospital for phototherapy. They would let me nurse as frequently as possible and had me offer 1 oz of formula after nursing. The pedi also told me to pump for 10 min post feedings. I was taking fenugreek by the 4th day and I think it helped along with all the frequent stimulation.
    Do what you feel is best. I WOULD NOT stop bf b/c then you will not be able to keep your supply up. I wish I had not even supplemented now looking back at it. Your baby will thrive and do well and get past the jaundice. DS was jaundice until he was almost 3 mo old. The pedi took his levels at our 2 mo check up and it was still slightly elevated. She said it was bm jaundice and not to worry, it would go away.
    You just keep bf that precious one and when you go to the md office tell them you chose not to ff, because you wanted to keep your supply. They cannot do anything to you. If the md continues to not be supportive of bf I would definately switch docs.
    Congrats!

Similar thing happened to our daughter. She developed jaundice the 2nd day and the hospital didn't want to discharge her at first but we insisted on the biliblankets. Finally they ordered them for us and let us go home. She was also very sleepy and I couldn't get her to nurse. I have flat nipples and I remember it being a bit of a problem with our first baby but he got a hang of it within 2 days. Unfortunately our daughter didn't. I just expected her to do the same thing (learn quick) I guess and when I couldn't get her to latch on I felt so helpless. I had considered myself to be a breastfeeding expert and here I was with our daughter feeling hopeless and feeling like a first time mom. I tried my best to get her to nurse and she was so sleepy and couldn't latch on. At the hospital she would latch on but then fall asleep. I couldnt' get her to nurse more than a few minutes. When we got home I was able to get her to nurse a couple of times but that was about it. I would put her on the breast and she would just scream. I was so worried about her and called the doctor. Our pediatrician is Dr. Sears by the way. We just love him. We see the dad for well check ups and the sons for sick visits. I went to the doctor and they weighted her and she had lost more weight from the last visit. She went from 7lbs 2 oz at birth to 6 lbs 6 ounces within 4 days. They told me that I needed to pump and offer the milk in the bottle since she wouldn't nurse enough and the bili levels were high. I wish I would have thought to do that earlier. The poor thing looked weaked and I felt so bad. Her bili levels were 21 and I had to go get blood work done every couple of days. Finally the bili levels came down and they stopped checking them. I only gave her formula one time because I didn't have any pumped milk available. The doctor never told us to supplement because of the jaundice. I continued to offer my breast to her but she wouldn't take it. I was so worried that she wasn't going to breastfeed ever and I was feeling so discouraged. Our first nursed 2 1/2 years and I wanted our daughter to breastfeed as well. I continued to pump and offer the breast. Once her jaundice went away and she got more energy from being fed regularly, she all of sudden was interested in the breast and started to latch on. I was so excited and happy that I didn't give up. To fast forward the long story, she is now 1 month old and a pro nurser. I put the breast pump away 2 weeks ago and we never looked back. By the way I was also told to feed her every 2 hours but she wouldn't wake up so I fed her every 3 hours with the bottle and she was fine. I felt guilty too for not following the advise but she seemed to have the right amount of diapers so I didn't worry about it too much. Now that she is breastfeeding full time, she feeds on demand of course so I don't watch the clock anymore. Hope my story helps with your worry. If your baby isn't getting enough (based on diapers and how she looks and feels) try pumping and offering the bottle otherwise I wouldn't worry about it and just continue to breastfeed. Definitely find another doctor because formula is not needed to help bring the bili levels down.
    Last edited by makeuptalk; July 16th, 2006 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oskersmommy
    i'm going to call someone right now.
    Just checking in and wondering if you were able to get the help you needed today.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

my baby had jaundice for nearly 7 weeks. I only started supplementing 1 formula feed a day from 5 wks old onwards, when his jaundice had not cleared after 1 month and I started to panic, since most babies here recover within a month. My paediatrician said he'll only insist on formula if the jaundice hasn't cleared after 6 weeks.
    since your baby's bilibin level is dropping, things should be improving. I think impt is the wet diapers, I was told to the baby will pass out the 'yellowness' in his urine, so I spoon fed him some water from 1 wk on.
    did all these things 'cos was feeling inadequate as a 1st time mother......

hope the doc visit went well......

good news!

osker's eating well and doing fine. i called and called until i found someone who could help me. there's a hospital down the road from where i live and the ladies in the OB department told me i could come in and they would help me figure out what was going on.

osker was eating fine - he just got off to a rocky start.

i'm so glad those ladies took the time to help me out even though they didn't get anything in return. if they hadn't osker would have been needlessly taken off the breast.

thanks for the advice, everyone. you certainly helped calm me down.

This is more proof that mother always knows best! Follow your instincts - only you know what is best for your baby.

Unhappy Re: need help! jaundiced 8 day old...

I am sorry to hear your frustration about him eating. My daughter (now 2 months old) was also jaundiced, her bilirubin level was only up to 18 though, but my pd never mentioned that I should stop breastfeeding, in fact he was glad that I was because bf babies dirty more diapers since breast milk is more natural and it takes their little bodies to absorb it much quicker than formula. So my pd said that it was actually good that she was making so many dirty diapers since that's how they get rid of the extra bili in their systems. So I don't think you are on the wrong by bfing. As far as him being so sleepy, my bb was also very sleepy at the beginning, so what I would do was to take all of her clothes off and rub her feet and sometimes I would have a wet wash cloth handy and just rub her with it on her back or her cheeks and that would get her right up and she would eat more, also talking and singing to her seemed to help.

UGH!

i got a new pediatrician. he seemed really sweet and he encourages breastfeeding and all but...

osker is two weeks old and he hasn't gained back his birth weight. the doctor told me if he doesn't gain weight he'll have to put him in the hospital on IVs and stuff and he said i don't want that. (osker weighed 9.11 at birth and now weighs 8.9)

he told me i had to formula feed osker because it was a serious matter of his health. he said there must be something wrong with my milk or his latch. of course, he gave us a day to gain an ounce and osker didn't so he's had some bottles now.

it's just so confusing! the baby was producing enough dirty diapers! doesn't that mean he was eating enough too??

the doctor said strictly formula, but it's breaking my heart. i've been pumping and offering a couple ounces of breastmilk in addition and last night instead of getting out of bed and making formula i breastfed him in bed.

the saddest thing is he still roots around after he eats out of the botttle. i let my husband feed him last night and he rooted around and cried for the breast afterwards. i felt so horrible that i let him fall asleep on my breast.

i emailed two ll leaders last week but didn't get any response. neither one of them were home either.

this sucks. i wish i could something. anything.

Oskersmommy,

I don't know what to say as I am a first time mom bfing my first. I wish I could say something that would make it all better, but I wanted to let you know you are doing great and to hang in there. I know you have just changed peds but could/would you consider getting at least a second opinion? To put a baby on IVs is a very big step and since you have kept such good track of diapers, and it seems to you like ds is getting enough then a second opinion may alleviate your fears. I know there can be a really big difference in scales at times also.

I felt so much for you when you said your lo still roots around even after being fed, he needs his mom, and you are doing nothing wrong in answering that need. Have you also considered getting your milk tested, from what I understand there are very few mothers who truly do have something wrong with their bm. You are doing a great job, and try not to worry too much. Remember you know your baby better than anyone else and you know what's best for him, don't doubt what you're doing and giving to him.

Jessica

how often is the baby eating? And is he still sleepy?
    Is there any way that you can just take the baby to bed and nurse nurse nurse for the next few days? He will gain weight then. Kangaroo care...
    Ditch the bottles.
    Its normal for babys not to regain their birth weight by 2 weeks and since he was a big boy it might take him a while, if you had any iv during labor that can make their birth wieght inflated.
    If you don't want to do formula, you should pump and give the baby your milk. but the thing about doing that the baby might get used to the bottles and not want the breast. Use some sort of other ways to feed him besides the bottle.
    so that he can get all his sucking need met by you.

When are you going back for a wieght checK?
    Try the nurse in! IT will work.

heres some links
    how to tell if your baby is getting the milk he needs
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/normal.html

how to get your milk supply off to a good start

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug05p142.html

you can also keep calling leaders untill you find one that is home, summer is a busy time for leaders with older kids.
    Ohio has an 800 number you can call I'm not sure that your state does.

heres another thing I found
    Rule #1: Feed the baby.
    Rule #2: Maintain mother's milk supply.
    Daily: Monitor baby's frequency of feeds, wet and soiled diapers.
    Frequently: Monitor baby's weight gain.

this has some good ideas on how to get the baby to nurse beter
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov99p99.html