Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: need help! jaundiced 8 day old...

Default Re: need help! jaundiced 8 day old...

oh and one more thing your milk is just right for your baby.
    You might have to do some work on the delivery to baby but there is nothing wrong with your milk!

(((hugs, mama))) I'm sorry you are getting such contradictory information from the medical community. I know you were open to a second opinion, but would you consider a third? Keep trying to reach the LLL Leaders. We are volunteers, and can't always be available, but we also love what we do and always will call back.

All babies, no matter what they are fed, lose 7-10% of their birth weight after birth and regain by two to three weeks. It looks like your son lost 2.5 ounces more than average, but that is highly likely due to the jaundice and possibly other birth interventions as another poster mentioned. It is a concern that he is still so far from his birth weight, but that is also more likely due to the jaundice than something being wrong with your milk.

Supplementation does not have to be formula except in very rare cases. There is nothing wrong with your milk. You can supplement with your milk. He simply needs a little more time, some extra nutrition and if he is stooling and wetting diapers, seems content and is gaining then he is getting back on track. The number one thing to remember is to feed the baby. You can breastfeed on demand and pump some extra milk each feeding to give him a boost. I would recommend that you try to feed him more than the minimum of 8 times in a 24 hour period...more like 10-12 or more if he will cooperate. Encourage him to eat more often. Have someone take care of everything else while you work on getting your little one's weight where it no longer is a concern. Your only job should be to feed the baby for now. Trust what your instincts are telling you. It is easier for the doctors to recommend formula than to refer you to a lactation consultant or to try to help you fix any breastfeeding difficulties.

Is there a lactation consultant (IBCLC) where you live? Some insurance plans will reimburse you for the cost of their services. Even if they don't, it is still cheaper than a year's worth of formula. I would highly recommend that you both be seen by an IBCLC at this point. You can rule out things like a bad latch. Although if that were the case, you'd probably be here posting about soreness as well.

It is very important to get your son's weight back up, and quickly. I don't want to downplay that. If he were only a few ounces shy of his birthweight by two weeks, then I'd say the doctor was overreacting, but he is still 18 ounces from his birthweight (10% would have been 15.5). This is not something that is your fault, and I don't want to scare you. His medical condition, jaundice, is likely responsible for his slow weight gain. But it is very important that he catch up his weight loss.

What kind of pump do you have? You will need a hospital grade rental pump if you choose to pump and bottle feed the baby your milk. This type of pump could be helpful in the short term as well if you choose to breastfeed and then supplement with your milk. They can often be rented by the month.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

thanks - i'm going to try that nurse-in thing. sounds like a good idea to just spend a lot of time in bed trying to nurse him.

his jaundice appears to be subsiding and he's been quite alert lately. i think maybe he was too sleepy to eat very well at first. i mean, he would eat and then fall asleep and i wouldn't be able to wake him up to eat any more. now that he's more alert he's eating a lot better.

labor was induced with pitocin and i was on an iv for nine hours. i don't know if that has anything to do with him having jaundice or not, but it would stink if it did. i really did not want to be induced. i didn't want any interventions.

i really appreciate all the thoughts and ideas i've been getting on this message board. it stinks that there's nobody i know around me who knows anything about breastfeeding.

thank you so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by oskersmommy
    thanks - i'm going to try that nurse-in thing. sounds like a good idea to just spend a lot of time in bed trying to nurse him.

his jaundice appears to be subsiding and he's been quite alert lately. i think maybe he was too sleepy to eat very well at first. i mean, he would eat and then fall asleep and i wouldn't be able to wake him up to eat any more. now that he's more alert he's eating a lot better.
    Sounds like your instincts are working for you very well. Make sure to watch wet/dirty diapers closely and watch for signs of dehydration. Keep listening to those instincts. They will tell you if something is not right. You know your baby better than the doctors or even we do.

labor was induced with pitocin and i was on an iv for nine hours. i don't know if that has anything to do with him having jaundice or not, but it would stink if it did. i really did not want to be induced. i didn't want any interventions.
    Sadly, one of the known side-effects of pitocin is neonatal jaundice. I credit pitocin with the bad case of jaundice ds#1 had. Here's the drug info on it, if you're interested in seeing for yourself: http://www.kingpharm.com/uploads/pdf...Pitocin_PI.pdf
    The jaundice is listed on the second page on the second column with some other known risks. It's definitely a drug I wish I had known more about before I had my first baby. But, you learn as you go often in life and I've learned a lot with my first baby!

How are things going? Were you able to reach a Leader? I was thinking of you and your little one and wanted to check in! If you have time to send an update, please do!

Also wanted to add that if your baby is rooting after the bottle put him on the brest. I did that with our daughter and she started to gain her weight back a lot quicker that way. Also it helped to keep her interested in the breast. I was able stop giving her the bottle by gradually cutting back the bottle feedings. I would give her the bottle just about 1/2-1 ounce and the put her on the breast and was finally able to wean her from the bottle that way. Trust your instincts and your body to feed your baby. Good luck!

My baby girl was slightly jaundiced when we left the hospital but not enough for therapy to be prescribed. My milk was not coming in well so she would sleep a lot and not eat often, though I wanted to bf her solely at my doctor's reccomendation I did feed her formula because I did not want the complications of jaundice to go full force and require treatment. She was on formula mostly and I pumped and stored my BF milk, of what I could produce, but as soon as she was cleared, we went full bf milk and she is doing great! No nipple confusion or any issues and she was so much more alert when her billi went down.