Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i make him drink from the bottle?

Default Should i make him drink from the bottle?

Hi gals! I'm new here but really excited to be part of this. My baby is turning 4 months old next week and I just really need to be connected to more mothers. Anyways, is it still possible for me to get my lil boy to drink expressed milk from the bottle? I actually introduced the bottle to him when he was 6 weeks old and i didn't have any problems whatsoever. But silly me didn't know that i had to give him the bottle everyday!!!! I know pretty stupid. I stopped giving him the bottle for two weeks and then he just rejected it completely after that. That was at about 3 months or so. Since then i've been seriously thinking about reintroducing him to the bottle. Part of me wants to but the other part just thinks it's more of a hassle. What do you think?

Default Re: Should i make him drink from the bottle?

How often would you be away from him and need someone else to give him a bottle? Personally, if you're doing it "just in case", I wouldn't mess with it. If necessary, someone could use a dropper, syringe, spoon, or small open cup to give him milk. And, before too long, he could probably begin to use a sippy cup. Once they start solids, if you aren't going to be gone too long, someone could feed them solids to hold them off on nursing a bit.

yeah kids can do ok with never having a bottle.
    Some moms use a sippy cup at that age.
    Or a straw cup.

Some babies will refuse a bottle from day one.
    ITs ok.

there is no need to give them a bottle every day if you don't want to.
    IF your skipping feeds that can realy affect your milk supply if you don't pump with each skipped feed.

With my last two babies I didn't even have a bottle in the house.
    They just came with me were ever I needed to go.
    That was less stress on me than figuring out somebody to care for them when I was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    How often would you be away from him and need someone else to give him a bottle? Personally, if you're doing it "just in case", I wouldn't mess with it. If necessary, someone could use a dropper, syringe, spoon, or small open cup to give him milk. And, before too long, he could probably begin to use a sippy cup. Once they start solids, if you aren't going to be gone too long, someone could feed them solids to hold them off on nursing a bit.
    i feel better now. i never really felt like giving him the bottle, i love having him so close to me. and yea i have been told to do it "just in case" since we're always together anyway. i never thought of a dropper!! yay! i'm a lot happier now. to give or not to give the bottle has been tormenting me for months!!

If you have no need to use a bottle, I say don't worry about it! He's getting close to the age where he can master a sippy cup anyways. And like PP said, in case of emergency you could use a cup, syringe, etc.

I can count on one hand the amount of times my son used a bottle, and hes now 15 months.

BTW

Its good to have you here!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I didn't use a single bottle after LO was 7 weeks old. And I'm super happy about that LOL!!!! I did introduce sippys at around 7 months, with sips of water.

I vote skip them unless there's a real strong need.

Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

It's possible your LO wouldn't take a bottle anyway. I introduced a bottle around 3 months with my daughter, so that she could be bottle fed when I work (very part time). She never really liked it, possibly because I waited so long to introduce it, but I didn't want to do anything to interfere with her breastfeeding. She doesn't take a bottle if I'm with her (she's smart ... she knows mommy is nearby and mommy is better ), but she will grudgingly take it for others when I'm not home. She'll try to hold out for as long as she can until I return. Anyway, yeah, like the pp said, your baby is almost old enough for a cup, so I wouldn't worry about it. It was also suggested to me to give my baby a bottle every day, and it just seemed like such a chore to pump while my husband fed her, that I just didn't do it ... maybe that's why it didn't work out .

As a side note, there were a couple times when my daughter refused a bottle, then took it later. I think it was because my husband did not warm the milk up enough for her, so if you decide you need to give your LO a bottle, you could try again with different temperature or even a different bottle.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

At six months, my son is WAY more interested in the sippy cup than the bottle. You might try that instead.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

There is absolutely no need to offer a bottle unless you want to. As of others have mentioned, there are plenty of ways to get milk into a baby, and only one of them is a bottle.

I just want to reassure you that you do NOT have to offer a bottle daily in order to keep baby interested. Some mothers choose to do this because they need to return to work and want to be sure that baby will take a bottle, or because they wish to have their partner feed the baby once a day. But, it's certainly not a requirement for a baby to take a bottle with ease.

thanks everyone i feel so much better knowing that i didn't do something terribly wrong. like mentioned, i too felt like it was such a hassle pumping. besides whenever i would pump i couldn't get more than 2oz out which is weird. perhaps something wrong with the pump?? Haha. At around what month can the cup be introduced?