Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: grinding teeth

Default grinding teeth

i can't believe i'm posting this, but i just noticed as i was putting mr. baby down for his afternoon nap that he was grinding his teeth already! for cryin' out loud, he's barely even got teeth! a bottom one came in a few weeks ago and is mostly out, a top one surfaced a few days ago (my god, it's HUGE) and hasn't yet cleared his gumline and the second bottom tooth has just poked through the gumline.

should i be worried that he's going to hurt his teeth? do you think he's just getting used to them being in his mouth? my sister ground her teeth for years and the sound gave me the most visceral memory!

Default Re: grinding teeth

He might just be doing it 'cause he isn't used to them being there. Adults and teenagers tend to grind their teeth because of stress...I doubt it's the same with babies. Though if he's experienced anything that might be stressing him (a change in routine, starting a cry-it-out method for sleep training, starting to go to daycare, a busy schedule, a lot of noise, tension in the home, etc.), a little extra TLC and reducing stressors may help. If it keeps happening or gets worse, I'd talk to your dentist about it.
    Last edited by Iryssa; March 22nd, 2008 at 09:10 PM.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Default Re: grinding teeth

thanks, i think you're right, he's just getting used to the teeth being in his little mouth. he's been thougthfully nibbling on things too, stuffed animals, blocks, books... putting them in his mouth and then gently biting down, mostly to see what it feels like. so far, not so much nibbling on momma though (knock on wood).