Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a few quick questions

Default a few quick questions

1) when my son was first born the first 2 days he fed for 45min every 4-5hrs then somehow it turned into 15-20min every hour. after his doc apt today (which i tried to talk to the lc who called in sick) but the doc said its not normal for him to eat every hour. (the doc. said he was "using" me as a pacifier) so i managed to get him to feed every 2hrs for 20min. is this an average amt/time for him to feed. im not sure if hes done cos sometimes he cries when i set him down but doesnt relatch and other times doesnt cry. how would i know if i should keep feeding him? which leads me to my next question:

2) i was wondering if its normal to feel alittle sore but not full even after feeding then pumping?

3) is it ok to pump the same day, put it in the fridge and change your mind and put it in the freezer? and if i dont pump too often and only pump to have my son be able to latch on. can i add 2oz of milk to milk pumped only 2 hours earlier? it seems like a waste to dump it and have a gazillion bottles with only a few ounces in each.
    Last edited by lesdrunk; March 22nd, 2008 at 12:41 AM.

Default Re: a few quick questions

I dont think in this case i would listen to your ped. My lo is 3 months and her feeding schedule has fluctuated at times since she was born. Even though she on average eats every 2-3 hours there are some days when she will want to eat sooner than 2 hours and some where if she has had an especially long nap she will stretch it to 4 hours. If your lo seems like he wants to eat every hour then i would feed him. He could be going through a growth spurt. What i do when my lo is crying is i first check her diaper. if that is okay then i hold her and rock her for a few minutes to see if she is just tired and cranky. If she is still fussy then i offer her the breast. She also sometimes is fussy even after eating. This does not always mean she is still hungry. Most of the time actually it means she is just gassy or needs a good burp and after a few minutes she is happy again. I would watch your lo while he feeds. Normally when they are just about done feeding they really slow their suckling down and will almost start to drift to sleep. Just to make sure i will stroke her cheek a few times and let her take a few more sucks but if she does not resume a more constant sucking then i take her off. If your lo continues to cry for several minutes (like more than 5) then i would offer the breast again.

I hope this made sense.

it's okay to feed on demand. the first weeks sailor & i were attached all the time.

sometimes i wonder if these peds know anything about childrearing or bf'ing.

Frequent nursing is how we establish our supply, I didn't see how old your LO is but I would bet you are not a pacifier.

I was sore for the first 2 months, just kind of a dull ache in the breast, i had a great latch and nothing was wrong, my gyn said that was normal and it did go away. One thing that helped me was a very gentle touch from chest to nipple, I think it stimulated blood flow, not sure how it helped really, but it makethe soreness less.

yes, if you are not going to use what you thought you were of the EBM within a week put it in the freezer, I did it up to 5 days in the fridge and never had a problem
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Quote Originally Posted by lesdrunk View Post

3) is it ok to pump the same day, put it in the fridge and change your mind and put it in the freezer? and if i dont pump too often and only pump to have my son be able to latch on. can i add 2oz of milk to milk pumped only 2 hours earlier? it seems like a waste to dump it and have a gazillion bottles with only a few ounces in each.
    I don't know the answer to the last part of your question. However I do know that you can put the milk in the freezer after it has been in the fridge. I do this all the time. I leave it there for a couple of days. If I don't use it then I put it in the freezer. I am going to see if I can find the answer to your last question. I just got an idea of who might know the answer to that.

Found it ....

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T026900.asp

I think this answers all of your questions.

I didnt answer the adding to a bottle ? I did it all the time, just count your days from the oldest date you pumped. kwim?
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Quote Originally Posted by lesdrunk View Post
    1) when my son was first born the first 2 days he fed for 45min every 4-5hrs then somehow it turned into 15-20min every hour. after his doc apt today (which i tried to talk to the lc who called in sick) but the doc said its not normal for him to eat every hour. (the doc. said he was "using" me as a pacifier) so i managed to get him to feed every 2hrs for 20min. is this an average amt/time for him to feed. im not sure if hes done cos sometimes he cries when i set him down but doesnt relatch and other times doesnt cry. how would i know if i should keep feeding him?
    In the first two days I'm guessing your baby was just getting colostrum. Now that your milk has come in your baby is starting to establish your supply and begin his growth outside of the womb by eating frequently. Do not listen to the doctor regarding how often your baby "should" feed. They are usually talking about formula-fed babies. Breastfeeding is a whole different ballgame. Scheduling feedings, especially in the early days, can result in supply issues. Using you as a pacifier is normal. Sucking is comfort for your baby, as is that ultimate skin to skin contact. If your son seems to be done on one side, offer the other side. If he takes a good feed from it, thats great. If not, thats okay too, offer that side at the next feeding. Does that answer your question?

2) i was wondering if its normal to feel alittle sore but not full even after feeding then pumping?
    By sore do you mean your breasts or your nipples? I think in the first few weeks when you are experiencing pretty dramatic supply changes including engorgement you can feel sore breasts. Is there a reason that you are pumping? In these early days, allowing baby to regulate your supply can be crucial to ensuring you don't end up with an oversupply. Oversupply can lead to baby getting too much foremilk and being gassy, etc.

From what I've read, it is okay to add COLD breastmilk to COLD breastmilk. You want to refrigerate the milk before pouring it into previously pumped milk. Pouring warm breastmilk into cold breastmilk can cause bacteria growth.

Hope this helps!
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

about adding bottles together, i was told by a nurse that as long as they were the same temp (both cold from being in the frig) it's ok to mix and freeze i also agree with pp about checking the baby over(diaper, burp, sleepy) I found that if i tried to feed DD when she wasn't really hungry made her more mad and spit up all over me when that burp finally did come out But you know your LO and maybe he just wants to be close to you

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post

By sore do you mean your breasts or your nipples? I think in the first few weeks when you are experiencing pretty dramatic supply changes including engorgement you can feel sore breasts. Is there a reason that you are pumping? In these early days, allowing baby to regulate your supply can be crucial to ensuring you don't end up with an oversupply. Oversupply can lead to baby getting too much foremilk and being gassy, etc.

Lyn
    its my nipples and breasts. my nipples are scabbed (hes latching on fine but for the first min or two it hurts -so i guess maybe hes not latching properly at first im not sure). and my breasts feel tender on the sides but their not full . i dont no how to describe what im mean
    Last edited by lesdrunk; March 22nd, 2008 at 08:41 PM.