Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BM with Sudafed

Default BM with Sudafed

Atthe begining of the month I was sick and so was luke. The ped said I could take sudafed and it wouldn't hurt luke but would get to him and relive his symptoms too. Well not thinking I pumped those days so the BM has Sudafed in it. I know what ones they are, they are marked. Should I throw them out or save them for if he gets a cold again? Or do you think its such a small amount it wont matter if he eats it???

DISCLAIMER: Dont take meds to get to the baby through milk!!! EVER!!! I only did it under peds supervision and I was also sick! I just don't want a new mommy to think she can take meds just to get to the baby if its sick! It doesn't work that way. lol

Default Re: BM with Sudafed

The amount he might get is really not that much... I think it's kinda odd/funny the doc even would suggest such a thing... I'd use the milk if *I* were you

EDITED TO Ask... which sudafed was it????? it's got the psudoephedrine IIRC???!! Either way, I'd still give it to baby after the fact, I just wouldn't have taken it to begin with.. kwim?
    Last edited by Number3; March 22nd, 2008 at 12:13 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Well I wanted to take SOMETHING and Sudafed was safe in pregnancy so I called to see if it was safe when nursing too and he said it was fine because luke was sick but had me come in after 2 days to make sure he wasn't having any side effects (he wasn't) and to check the circ.

He said Luke wouldnt get enough to hurt him but enough to clear his sinus'

Edited to add to your edited to add! LOL It was the OTC not the one you have to fill out the novel for at the pharmacy. Not the actual Sudafedirin (sp?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyofmyboys View Post
    Edited to add to your edited to add! LOL It was the OTC not the one you have to fill out the novel for at the pharmacy. Not the actual Sudafedirin (sp?)
    Oh okay, so it was the new kind with phenylephrine? Here's the LactMed entry on it. Doesn't look like there's much information available, but the oral bioavailability is low to begin with. So that lowers first the amount you take in, and then lowers the amount that the baby would take in once again.

Personally I don't think I would dump the milk. But I wouldn't save it for later to use when baby has a cold either. The amount in the milk would be tiny. And there's some question as to whether phenylephrine is an effective decongestant anyway.

Hope that helps!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Great thanks... I had no clue how my WHOLE world would change while BFing. I remember being pregnant and saying I can't wait until this is over. I NEED A DRINK!!! lol but here we are a month later BFing and not one drop of booze lol I thought 9 months was a long time to change your life. I didn't realise that BFing is just the same minuse the backache lol

Cool Re: BM with Sudafed

I would just use the milk, weird that the doc said that, though? There is hardly any that actually gets through into your BM so it's safe to use anytime, now, when he's sick, whenever. When I was pregnant, the doc told me specifically to get the pseudophedrine HCL brand that's behind the counter, not the PE brand. So we use that when I'm sick...

Also, my LLL lady that talked to at wic said you can still drink (lightly) while breastfeeding, you don't have to pump and dump. As soon as it's out of "your head", it's out of your breast milk, because it's out of your bloodstream. Don't know how true that is, but I like the sound of it.
    Last edited by milk_milk; March 22nd, 2008 at 01:30 PM.
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987