Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How Long? How Often?

Default How Long? How Often?

My baby is 3 months old. She typically breastfeeds for 30 to 45 minutes. She doesn't pull off. She would do it all day and night if I let her. The only way I know she is done is to break the seal and see if she cries. She used to hold out for about an hour and half between feedings. Now she wants to eat every 45 minutes. I know it's different for every baby, but is this "normal" or she just using me for a pacifier?

Default Re: How Long? How Often?

Sounds like my Kami when she was that age. She used me as a paci and it increases when she goes through growth spurts or when her gums bother her.

I have been thinking she might be getting a tooth; lots of drool and chomping of the hand. Maybe it soothes her and that's o.k. It seems a little early for a tooth, but I have heard of babies being born with teeth.

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Could it be her 3-month growth spurt? About that time with DS (he's now 4mo), I just devoted myself to basically sitting in my nursing chair all day, got a few good books and some Propel water for myself, and just let him have at it. He probably ate every 30-45 minutes, sometimes every 20, and napped in between. After a few days, he went back to his "normal" schedule of every 1 1/2 to 2 hours, except that before that he only ate from one side per feeding and now he always eats from both. Oh, and he was really sleepy for a few days after that too. I guess that's "normal" as well.

My ds is also 3 months and is a marathon nurser. He has started to empty my breasts faster over the last week or so. He also rarely pulls off. I wait until I know my breast is empty and when I can tell that he is just sucking and not swallowing. A friend told me to enjoy the long nursing sessions because when he gets older I'll miss that time spent with him.