Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my baby weaning?

Unhappy Is my baby weaning?

My LO is 10 months old and I find that he is nursing less and less everyday. This began at about 8 months. He still wasn't eating solids very well, but he refused to eat unless we were in my bedroom snuggled up in bed. No more fitting rooms, back seat of car, nada! Well now he eats 3 solid meals a day and it has slowly transitioned to not nursing much during the day. He still gets up 2-3 times at night. I try to nurse in the morning, after his morning nap, after is afternoon nap, and before bed. Today he only nursed after his afternoon nap and from one side before bed. I tried to pump after his morning nap because I am afraid my supply will go. I couldn't get anything out ! I've never had this happen. I know that they are not supposed to wean before one year, but I feel like he is. This is not a strike. This has been getting increasingly worse for a couple months now. What is normal? If he is weaning, what do I give him? He has to drink something. Is the milk he drinks at night enough? Should I pump and give it in a bottle? Formula is not an option!

Default Re: Is my baby weaning?

I don't have any advise for you, but I'm in somewhat the same situation, my LO is 9 mos old and her nursing has been going down for about a month now. She doesn't eat solids really well either. So, I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread to see what the other mamas have to say.

Hi mama,

Can you give more detail about the fluids he drinks during the day, how often at night he nurses, and how his teething is coming along?

My son have been battling BF since birth. We have had several nursing strikes and ups and downs but I can say that none of these meant weaning. (He is still nursing at 20 months without any additional milk intake.) He would nurse great for a month and then show the exact same behavior that you are describing for a month or two. He had not eaten much solids until 14-15 months either and I believe that a child who is not that interested in other food will not wean since that will mean self-starvation.
    I knew he would come back eventually so during the times that he nursed less I pumped. He has never been interested in nursing in the morning (probably because of the night nursings) so I would double-pump after I nurse him around 9am before his morning nap (before naps are better for kids who don't want to nurse during the day; walking while holding him in BF position usually helped to get him to nurse.) I would give him the pumped milk (he didn't take a bottle so I had to mix it with cereal or bananas and avocados and spoon-feed) after his nap. I would nurse him again before his afternoon nap and then double-pump again. Sometimes he would nurse during his naps too but when he had these really bad episodes of refusal to nurse he didn't want that either.
    Of course it is your decision about how much you want to push through but if you don't want to give up I think you can both get through this. My son has been more and more interested in nursing after he turned 1. Still distracted (can't nurse outside home either) but the first thing he asks for at the slightest sense of hunger is the "boooob!"

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Hi mama,

Can you give more detail about the fluids he drinks during the day, how often at night he nurses, and how his teething is coming along?
    He drinks a few sips of water with every meal. I would say it would add up to about 4 ozs for the day. He nurses 2-3 times at night.

He has 8 teeth in already. According to my Dr. Sears book, those should be all of the first year teeth.

He just isn't interested in the breast during the day. He will take a bottle or a cup, but no breast. As my husband says "he doesn't want to be held down."