Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Boobs have Suddenly Changed

Default Boobs have Suddenly Changed

Ok... this is really odd.

For reference, baby is three weeks old and a couple of days. I started out with colostrum for four days and woke up somewhat engorged and had milk on day five. Two days later I was no longer engorged and still had lots of milk, just had a regular supply.

Well, five days ago I woke up engorged again.. I havent changed nursing schedule any, and I dont feel like baby is nursing more or different than he was before. My boobs were also just a LITTLE bit achy, even somewhat when empty. Not serious pain by far, and it seems to be more my left breast than the right. I am also leaking like a trooper again? I have also been feeling EXTREMELY tired..

My question is could this be the start of mastitis? Or plugged ducts or anything? I have been feeling a teensy bit under the weather but I attribute that to lack of sleep and being tired. Should I have it checked out, or just keep nursing and keep an eye on it?

Oh, and I have noticed the odd sort of dull pain shooting in my boobs while he is nursing, but its only happened once or twice i think and it went away in less than thirty seconds.

DS has ALWAYS latched perfectly, lol, even four min after birth, and we have been very lucky in that we have had no problems really with BF.

Any ideas ladies?
    Last edited by Rainbowzz; March 21st, 2008 at 09:35 PM.
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

Default Re: Boobs have Suddenly Changed

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowzz View Post
    Ok... this is really odd.

Oh, and I have noticed the odd sort of dull pain shooting in my boobs while he is nursing, but its only happened once or twice i think and it went away in less than thirty seconds.
    I dont have any advise for you since I am only a week ahead of you. But I was wondering if this odd pain you mentioned. Does it almost feel like the baby has teeth s/he is digging into you? Not biting just like digging. I guess to explain it it would be as if the bottom teeth were like little fangs peircing you. then it goes away and its not a problem the rest of the feeding???

The reason I ask is I get this once or twice a day. I have searched his mouth a dozen times but no teeth LOL

Hmmm.. It could be related to that, for me it feels deeper in the breast and not on the nipple.. but I could see how it could be described as beginning at the nipple and shooting farther into the breast tissue.

And yeah, it only happens once or twice a day and then it goes away and nothing?
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

Yeah its hard to explain.

I had thrush on my breast and everything I read or was told said there would be deep tissue pain. I never had then. Now that the thrush has cleared up I have it so I chalked it up to that and the infection moving out. i dont know...someone here will explain it to use though lol

I've never had mastitis, but I think I have experienced what you are talking about. I have gone through stages of being engorged & under supply without much of a change in feedings. I've also had shooting pains that were very brief. I would say continue nursing & keep an eye on it. Good luck!!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker