Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fever!

Default Fever!

Alright ladies... I need some advice from some of the more experienced mama's! My dd is 6.5 months, and has never been sick a day in her life ... thank God! Breanah was running a fever yesterday (100.0 rectal) so I gave her some Tylenol. It brought it down with the tylenol to normal range. She really isn't acting like she is sick. Today, she ran a temp like 99.8 and 99.9. (again, giving Tylenol) No runny nose, cough, or abnormal behavior. Heck, she isn't even fussing, which is what I guess is concerning to me. She is although not eating as often. This am she BF at 9am, then waited until like 2:30pm to eat again (I offered... she flat refused till then) Then she didn't eat again until like 8pm! This was really strange.. she def eats more often than this usually!

So my questions are: **at what point do you become concerned? I know my pedi says to call them for fevers 100.1 and above. **Could it just be maybe she is getting ready to cut teeth? **Do they run fevers like that with teething? **Do their appetites decrease when they might be getting ready to get teeth? Maybe she has a virus? **When should I call the Dr?

Sorry ladies, I am just nervous... since I only work on the weekends, and I will be leaving her in the care of the grandmothers this weekend when I am at work.
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Fever!

I'd say if the either she's not having good diaper output or if the fever goes back up, call the dr. Teething can cause low-grade fevers and nursing strikes. Can you get a peek at her gums to see if they're red and/or puffy? Is she eating any solids?

BTW, could the Boo-Boo be any cuter???
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Sounds like a low-grade fever. It could be teething, or she could be fighting off a little bug that she picked up somewhere. A fever is good because it is the body fighting infection. We usually didn't give fever-reducing meds unless it was higher than 102 or causing a lot of discomfort. But def talk to your doctor!

Its no fun when your little one is sick. I hope shes better soon.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanks ladies! She seems to be better today. I ended up giving in and giving the pedi a ring yesterday. She was 99.8 yesterday. The pedi said that they dont get concerned until 101.5 () But told me to check in today with them. She dosent have a temp at all today. She seems super hungry too.... which makes me feel much better. (most likely making up for the last day or two of not being mama's big eater! Her gums do indeed look a little swollen, although, I cannot see any little nubbies getting ready to make an entrance. Maybe soon though! Lots of drooling and chewing today! You guys should have seen her last night just "working" that teething toy!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months