Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussing at the breast - help please

Default Fussing at the breast - help please

Does anybody know why a 3 1/2 month old would suddenly have latch problems? He tries to latch on while pulling his head back so his nose is pointed outward and his upper lip can't keep the suction. It's painful and my nipples are starting to hurt from it. I'm wondering if he wants to be in a different position because he's getting bigger. I use the modified cradle hold. He's also drooling a lot lately! My first son didn't get teeth until he was six months and my daughter got teeth right after her first b-day. I know they can teethe this early but could that really be a reason for pulling off the breast and fussing even though I know he wants it?

TIA!
    LLL Leader Cabarrus County, North Carolina

Default Re: Fussing at the breast - help please

Have you tried nursing him in a football hold? It might help him to latch on more easily.
    As for why, it could be any number of things. Is he fussier than usual?

The football hold was always hard for me. I feel like it would be harder now that he's longer but I may have to give it a try this weekend. He's not more fussy than usual other than at nursing time and then he's not really fussy until the milk stops flowing as fast and then he starts arching his back and trying to latch on while pulling away.

Also, he is suddenly having a hard time keeping his pacifier in his mouth. This all started at the same time a few days ago. I also have a yeast infection AGAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by melissac View Post
    Also, he is suddenly having a hard time keeping his pacifier in his mouth. This all started at the same time a few days ago. I also have a yeast infection AGAIN!!
    Could be thrush. It may be making him uncomfortable.

I was also wondering if perhaps it was an ear infection, and laying on his side was making his ears hurt more, and that's why he was resistant to the cradle hold.

I wish I could add more to this post then I will but I hope the little I do helps you.

The football hold, this NEVER worked good for me UNTIL Jake got bigger! I use the bobby to and slide most of it over to one side his feet dangle off but his head and upper body are nice and nesty on the bobby and against me. It really helps when he's getting upset, or at least he lasts longer this way then the craddle.

GOOD LUCK!

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

Quote Originally Posted by JakestersMommy View Post
    I wish I could add more to this post then I will but I hope the little I do helps you.

The football hold, this NEVER worked good for me UNTIL Jake got bigger! I use the bobby to and slide most of it over to one side his feet dangle off but his head and upper body are nice and nesty on the bobby and against me. It really helps when he's getting upset, or at least he lasts longer this way then the craddle.

GOOD LUCK!

Ok, then I'll give the football hold another try. I thought it would be even harder with him being bigger but I'll certainly try it today! Thanks.

Let me know how it works out for you... I've got big tata's so it's kinda easy for me to do this...

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long