Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - still sleeping at breast

Default Help - still sleeping at breast

I need help. My dd is 11 weeks now. She was a small baby at birth but nursed right away. She is now 8lb 11oz. She still falls a sleep at EVERY nursing - as soon as I lay her down she wakes up. I am very frustrated and don't know what to do. Will she ever grow out of this? When? What can I do? I try all of the usual methods to keep her awake - diaper change, burp, switch nursing. She is gaining weight very slowly and I think it's because she is such a lazy nurser. The pediatrician says that she is healthy and is satisfied with her weight gain. But I am not enjoying this. I am struggling.

Default Re: Help - still sleeping at breast

Based on my experience, she will grow out of it. Kami is now 7 1/2 months and occassionaly she will do this. She did it a lot when she was first born. I would just do the same things you have already tried. She basically used me as a pacifier and I didn't have a lot of time to get things done. I don't regret it. She still soemtimes uses me as a paci even though she has a "real" one. As for the sleeping and putting down, she still wakes sometimes when we put her down, during the day. But it is better than before.Hang in there.

My daughter did the exact same thing. She is by far not a great sleeper now, but it has gotten significantly better. She would want to nurse or just suck all day long and every time I would try to put her down, if she even stayed down it would be for 10 minutes. That was the cycle, all day! It does get better, just hang in there.

My baby does the same thing too. She is 3 months old. If she stays asleep, it's only for a few minutes and she is such a sleepy nurser, I feel like that's why she doesn't nap or sleep well at night. She is napping and nursing at the same time. What a life! My son wasn't a great sleeper either. Some babies just don't sleep well. All we can do is hope a time comes when they will sleep better. The important thing is that the ped. says she's healthy. It sounds like she is small, so as she gets bigger, she will probably do better. Hang in there. You are doing what's best!