Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Keeping up supply

Default Keeping up supply

My baby is 9 months old and I've been pumping at work and breastfeeding at home. When baby got teeth and started biting, breastfeeding got more difficult, but he's still great first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I've only been able to pump 3 oz max (1x) at work lately, and in the evening he just doesn't seem satisfied with what I have left.

What is best for me to do to maintain what I've got? Should I keep pumping at work, or should I skip the pumping and save everything up for the evening? Is it important to make sure I empty completely each time I pump or feed to keep the supply I've got? I'm not ready to wean yet, but I'm worried that it is happening for me.

Elin

Default Re: Keeping up supply

Hi Elin,

I'm moving this to Increasing Your Milk for more replies.

Breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses/the more you pump, the more milk you will make. Expressing your milk in some way while you are at work will be essential for maintaining your milk supply. What kind of pump are you using? Is there any way that you can pump more than once per day. FWIW, 3oz in one pumping session is pretty typical...it sounds like you just need to pump more often.

Here is a link to some more information on increasing the amount of milk you are able to pump: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

Additionally, anything you can do to increase your baby's time breastfeeding while you are together will increase your milk supply and decrease his dependence upon pumped milk while you are away. You mentioned that breastfeeding has been more difficult since he started teething. Have you read this about baby biting?: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bite.html

HTH. Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Tiana

Just wanted to chime in and offer a .

Here's another helpful web page:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

HTH!

Thanks for your help. I'm pretty comfortable with what I'm getting right now. It's just right for my schedule and my baby's schedule. I just don't want it to decrease any further. Do you think I need to increase my pumping to prevent a decrease in supply? FWIW, baby is only interested in nursing if he's very tired, and I really only want to spend time with the pump if I have to. But the time I get nursing with him right now is really important to me so I'm willing to stick with the pump if it allows me more nursing time when I'm home.

Elin

Could you talk to me more about what your goals are? In your first post, it sounded to me like you felt like you should be pumping more milk, and that your baby wasn't satisfied when nursing. In your second post, you sounded like you were okay with your milk supply at this point, and just want to maintain it. Could you clarify for me?

Also, what are your long-term goals? If your goal is to nurse him for a full year, you probably do need to pump more often, so that there is enough milk to keep him interested in nursing. If he is not nursing very often, and you are not pumping very much, you will not have much milk.

HTH. Keep me posted,

Tiana

My frustration is coming from my dd catching up. I'm now down to 1 day's worth of milk in my freezer stash (I made (4) 3-4 oz bottles for my DH this morning). the remaining bags left are freaking me out. I gave her formula last night around 1a and the night before, hoping that it would keep her sleep for at least 3 hours, so I could pump and store. But she ended up drinking that bottle, then nursing and staying awake until 2:30am on BOTH days. I normally pump 3x at work every 3-4 hours, but this morning I am going to start squeezing in one during my breakfast, which is 30 min before I go to work. I got 7oz and my dd last feeding was 4:30ish. Hopefully this next one will help. I want a pump vacation on the weekends, but I found myself desperate to keep pumping at least 2x yesterday. She must be going through a major growth spurt.

It would actually be helpful for your supply if you would nurse her frequently during the evening hours, especially when she wakes at night. The reason being that prolactin, your milk making hormone, is highest at night. Night nursing really helps to increase your overall milk production and decrease your baby's dependence upon pumped milk or formula.

You might consider pumping on one side while nursing baby on the other during the evening.

Have any of the suggestions from the link I posted been helpful to you?

Hang in there,

Tiana