Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night feeding

Default Night feeding

Hi there, I was hoping someone would be able to give me advice on night feeds. So far its going fairly well, but sometimes Skye struggles to latch properly. I find it easier lying down to feed her at night but don't think I've got the positioning right and its causing problems with the latch. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Night feeding

Can you explain your difficulties more? Is there pain or pinching? Are you elevating the breast to the correct height by rolling a towel or something under it?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Can you explain your difficulties more? Is there pain or pinching? Are you elevating the breast to the correct height by rolling a towel or something under it?
    Thanks for replying.

I think she's not latching properly cause I'm getting a burning sensation, and don't think she's feeding very well cause she's not settling after a feed. Means I'm up almost all night either feeding, changing or trying to settle her, I'm only getting an hour or two a night of unbroken sleep. I've not been doing anything to elevate the breast, just been trying to lie in a position that she can feed in but doesn't work out that comfy for me. I wasn't shown how to feed like this, I've just been trying on my own

Hi! I don't know if this will help, but this link has good instructions for nursing while laying down and there are photographs.

Nursing Laying Down

Hope that helps!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by magika View Post
    I'm up almost all night either feeding, changing or trying to settle her, I'm only getting an hour or two a night of unbroken sleep.
    Sounds normal to me. It's hard work being a mama to a baby that really likes to eat at night.
    How old is your baby?

If you see me on the board just pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Google316 View Post
    Hi! I don't know if this will help, but this link has good instructions for nursing while laying down and there are photographs.

Nursing Laying Down

Hope that helps!
    thats great, thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Sounds normal to me. It's hard work being a mama to a baby that really likes to eat at night.
    How old is your baby?

If you see me on the board just pm me.
    normal well maybe its not for me then, I need sleep

Quote Originally Posted by magika View Post
    normal well maybe its not for me then, I need sleep
    Getting up that often is so hard, UGH!!!!. Maybe she doesn't have her days and nights sorted out yet? Do you think? Are you making night-time sleep dark and quiet, while leaving it bright with some normal noise during naps in the daytime? Just figured I'd ask... it's probably something you've heard already though.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.