Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fenugreek Side Effects

Default Re: Fenugreek Side Effects

I think the spit up problem has to do with over supply. There was a day, that my breast were really full with milk and my baby drank alot. After words he had a big spit up. It maybe that you just don't need to take the supplement. You may be starting an oversupply issue and inadvertently causing the spit up problem. I take mothers tea at work and drink it a half an hour before a pump and it gives me an extra ounce. But that is the only time I take mothers tea. If I drank it at night or the weekends, I was afraid of overfeeding my son due to the increased supply. I only drink the tea at work, when I am getting ready to pump.

I did not notice increased spit-ups in my dd, but she did get bad gas after I took MOre Milk Plus for 3 days. I suffered diarrhea as well as low blood sugar (I am not diabetic) so I decided to stop taking it. It did increase my milk however! Maybe I'll take a smaller dose only when my supply is really low like when I'm on my period.

My 3 week old has a reaction to the Mother's Milk I drank. I had an over supply to begin with and had no idea it was to help out lactation, I thought it was to help along the health part. Anyway, any time I've drank it he'd cry a lot at my breast and otherwise, and become quite gassy. So I'm sure there are babies out there that have a reaction to it, or anything else we consume.

I noticed my drinking chamomile (Sleepytime Tea) soothes him durring the night. And I stopped the mother's milk.

Talking Re: Fenugreek Side Effects

fenugreek works by increasing your gland activity. This can make the milk come in harder. I figured out I was ok to back off when I had to pump inbetween feedings. It is used in the paciific region to calm upset stomach. As my sister who has terrible reflux informed me, anything to calm your stomach will give you gas plain and simple. (almost her exact words) I was told that Fenugreek can build up in the system so it is reasonable to assume that after a while you might need to take it again. Being an advocate of the most natural way possible make sure that an extra pump/feeding session or two wont brign you up to where you want to be. Also those who are drinking Mother's Milk there is more than just Fenugreek so before you write it off as the one giving you/your LO gas I would say try straight Fenugreek first. I know GNC has the pill form but the straight tea I have had trouble finding although I have a lead to follow up on that one. And in case you dont beleive the package insert, I smell like Maple syrup when I work out. To the point my aerobics instructor asked me if I had pancakes before coming one day! HEHEHE! Ok I am really tired so if ya'll dont find that as amusing as I do then I am sorry for my bad humor.

Is it just b/c Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle build up in your system as to why you can stop taking it for awhile and then resume? That's why my dr told me but was wondering if any of you had heard differently.

I agree, biggest side effect is gas! The syrup smell's not that big of a deal to me but the gas is uncomforting.