Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek Side Effects

Question Fenugreek Side Effects

I have a 6 week old newborn baby girl and a four years old girl, both have been breastfeed. With both I've used Fenugreek supplements and/or Mother's Milk to increase milk supply and I noticed increased spit-ups

While breastfeeding my first daughter the doctor thought it was mild reflux and prescribed OTC heartburn/indigestion medication. With my newborn daughter I discontinued the used of Fenugreek (in the past two weeks) and noticed she did not spit-up or did so seldom and in small amounts. In the last two days I resumed using the supplements and noticed she spits-up frequently and in big amounts.

Has anyone noticed this side effect while using fenugreek or is this plain coincidence?

Default Re: Fenugreek Side Effects

I never heard of something like that happening nor did I experienced that when I tried it. But if you noticed it and the way you explained it's happening it doesn't sound like coincidence, so I would stop using Fenugreek. I will do some research to see if I find any information on it.

Are you having any supply issues?

Welcome to the form! How's my beautiful island doing?!

I've read many articles on Fenugreek and can't relate spit-ups or reflux to Fenugreek, but it's still happening.

In terms of supply, I'm concerned that my newborn started sleeping for 6+hrs during evenings, thus not nursing and my supply can diminish (it happened with my first daughter). I've started pumping before returning to work, but I'm so tired during the evenings that I sleep through as well and do not pump.

PR is doing great!

i used fenugreek for a couple of weeks and i definitely noticed an increase in my milk supply...but by 4 week old at that time (now she's 10 weeks old) did not spit up more than she usually did. i plan to start taking fenugreek or mother's milk tea in the next week as i'm returning to work and want to ensure that i'm able to express a sufficient amount of milk for baby.

as for your mik supply, you could try to wake up your newborn (i know you're thinking "are you crazy?!") and feed her. i used to do this to my daughter about a month ago...she'd nurse with her eyes closed and unlatched on her own when she had enough to eat.

I took Fenugreek to increase my milk supply as well. I took it for 2 weeks until my supply came up, then I quit. My supply is going down again and I am going to start taking it again. I am wondering how long I should take it? Is it bad to take it for an increased amount of time?
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Angie5892
    I took Fenugreek to increase my milk supply as well. I took it for 2 weeks until my supply came up, then I quit. My supply is going down again and I am going to start taking it again. I am wondering how long I should take it? Is it bad to take it for an increased amount of time?
    I don't think you should take it for a prolonged amount of time (e.g., months at a time). The breastfeeding center at the hospital said to take it for 2 weeks, which I did and noticed an increase in my milk supply. I just started work this past Wednesday and noticed a slight drop in supply, so I am planning to take fenugreek again for another two weeks. I'm not sure if it's bad to take it 2 weeks at a time with several weeks off in between.

Quote Originally Posted by mom_of_2
    I have a 6 week old newborn baby girl and a four years old girl, both have been breastfeed. With both I've used Fenugreek supplements and/or Mother's Milk to increase milk supply and I noticed increased spit-ups

While breastfeeding my first daughter the doctor thought it was mild reflux and prescribed OTC heartburn/indigestion medication. With my newborn daughter I discontinued the used of Fenugreek (in the past two weeks) and noticed she did not spit-up or did so seldom and in small amounts. In the last two days I resumed using the supplements and noticed she spits-up frequently and in big amounts.

Has anyone noticed this side effect while using fenugreek or is this plain coincidence?
    After drinking two cups of Fenugreek tea in one day I noticed that my month-old daughter had terrible gas/indigestion. This continued throughout the night and into the next day. She produced three dirty diapers that day (usually she only produces one) and I too suffered terrible gas/indigestion. I stopped the Fenugreek immediately although now I am wondering whether it was premature to do so. I did notice that my breasts were leaking for the first time a day later, so now I am weighing whether the (seeming) side effects are worth the trouble?
    Did you notice and effects in your baby after taking the Fenugreek?
    I am thinking that maybe the tablets are better than the tea, because one can control the dosage better....

where can you order Mother's milk tea? Does it work pretty well? I have been on Fenugreek and Reglan to increase my milk supply for almost a month, however the supply is still not very promising. Please help. Thanks

I've noticed more gas in myself (haven't really noticed in my daughter) and am thinking it's probably the Fenugreek.

I've found Mother's Milk tea at most chain grocery stores as well as healthfood stores.

Unhappy Re: Fenugreek Side Effects

I took fenugreek for about a week and it gave my DD terrible gas. I had to stop taking it because her gas was actually waking her up and she was fussy during the day.

I've heard that taking blessed thistle with the fenugreek will counteract the gas. I didn't try it because I didn't feel like taking even MORE pills and I was only getting an ounce more per day anyway.